My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres what I have piled up since I started my Gravely hobby, the one Ive been working in for three summers looks pretty nice...but I cant manage to get it running yet but its getting close, or I hope so anyway.
Problem is I bought it for my son and wanted it to look like a new one so I tore it apart stripped and de-rusted and painted pretty much everything I could but if I knew then what I know now I would have got it running first instead of last. But when it does decide to come back to life it will be nice....hopefully in this lifetime that is.
So I have 3 of them, one nice one and 2 clunkers.....as far as Im concerned anyway because I buy in to big of a rush.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ran out of picture allowance, heres the rest.
I guess thats about it but I put I know $1,200 worth of new parts, carb rebuild, fan bearings and I cant count the rest. Oh installed a new kill button in handlebar, new grips, throttle, choke on and on and on.
But I have in pix a single blade 'Tater Digger", sickle, dirt or snow moving blade, 3 decks w/blades, a new blade ( hanging up) extra fuel tank oh and a nice sulky.
The tractors are in numerical order with the nice one first, parts tractor second and same in 3 rd.
I may fix the one w/white hood up one day but am in no hurry to. And the ugly blackish one has a geared starter sprocket or flywheel on it and could be a start to a starter I need to put on the decent one.
Guess this virus stuff has me bored.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I would love to have the sickle mower...... Part of my yard is getting pretty long..... couldn't mow it all last year. Too wet.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing is impossible for sure. My son said he wanted it but if he changes his mind I'll get with you on it.
By the time he ever gets it its looking like he might have forgotten all about it lol.
That thing is so heavy its dangerous!
It tore up the tail gate on my little Ranger!

·
Daryl G
884 Posts
... I guess thats about it but I put I know $1,200 worth of new parts, carb rebuild, fan bearings and I cant count the rest. Oh installed a new kill button in handlebar, new grips, throttle, choke on and on and on...
Mark,
Just to ruffle your feathers, I will counter that with my $1,275 for four running machines! I ran the heck out of one of them yesterday... well, it actually worked ME really hard bur performed really, really well. I find that the more I run each machine, the better and more reliable it becomes. Now, I just wonder how our buddy gravely1964 does this with his WHOLE FLEET of Gravelys??? It would be an interesting exercise to compute, in today's dollars, the original purchase price of his Gravelys - I bet it is approaching a quarter of a million dollars in today's dollars!

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Mark,
Just to ruffle your feathers, I will counter that with my $1,275 for four running machines! I ran the heck out of one of them yesterday... well, it actually worked ME really hard bur performed really, really well. I find that the more I run each machine, the better and more reliable it becomes. Now, I just wonder how our buddy gravely1964 does this with his WHOLE FLEET of Gravelys??? It would be an interesting exercise to compute, in today's dollars, the original purchase price of his Gravelys - I bet it is approaching a quarter of a million dollars in today's dollars!
LOL Im sure theres alot money sitting around here in my hobby. Generally I don't want to fully know lol. I have sold a few little things off behind the scenes here. Planning on selling some once the corna is over here.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark,
Cant ruffle my feathers Buddy, aint you an engineer or something like that? Plus you understand this stuff and Im just some thumb buster lol.
I dont have a competitive bone in my body lol. Everyone has something they do good right?
Later Bud

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL Im sure theres alot money sitting around here in my hobby. Generally I don't want to fully know lol. I have sold a few little things off behind the scenes here. Planning on selling some once the corna is over here.
If we dont all croak from old age first lol.
I understand the "I dont really want to know" thing for sure.

·
Daryl G
884 Posts
I can't sleep so pardon my contribution here that has NOTHING to do with Gerrard's original thread!

Last week, I spent an afternoon clearing my elderly neighbors yard (although 'officially' it is my neighbor, the house/yard is more than a quarter of a mile from us but it is still the closest house). There is a nasty non-native tree/shrub that has very successfully established itself locally - Chinese Privet. That stuff is hardy, quick growing, and had completely taken over my neighbors yard. I guess it has been two years since her grass was mowed and the weeds, briars, and privet now densely occupied her entire yard. This elderly neighbor has a never-working grandson living with her who has repeatedly mentioned clearing up that mess of a yard but, in the last two years, has done nothing more than talk about it...

So, last week, I walked to their house and awoke the grandson at 12:30 in the afternoon and said that I would like to assist in clearing this overgrown yard. After wiping the sleep from his eyes, he seemed to like he idea so I went back to my shed, fired up the Gravely, drove it through the woods, and arrived at the 'jungle' (now I wished that I had taken a before picture just show how completely overgrown this yard was). I even brought a tool (a pair of heavy-duty bypass loppers) for the grandson to use as I was clearing with he Gravely!

Unfortunately, the tool I brought for him to use saw little use; instead, he preferred to supervise my activities from a distance. Heck, he even stood at his post while I was dragging huge fallen branches from their yard... The grandson was even courteous enough to let me know that he was going in to eat some lunch around 14:30 - I guess that is my fault since I did awake him earlier from his nap. After filling his belly up he reappeared momentarily only to disappear again when his grandmother's home nurse visit person arrived (everybody apparently needs his supervisor).

Well, the difference in their yard is amazing. The grandson did say that his grandmother cried when she saw the change. I received lots of praise from my wife for this nice gesture. There was a time in the past where neighbors really helped one another out... this was also the same era where lazy grandsons where not allowed to mooch off of their poor grandmother. On a bright note, the grandson has managed to stay out of jail for the last six months so everything is not too bad.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't sleep so pardon my contribution here that has NOTHING to do with Gerrard's original thread!

Last week, I spent an afternoon clearing my elderly neighbors yard (although 'officially' it is my neighbor, the house/yard is more than a quarter of a mile from us but it is still the closest house). There is a nasty non-native tree/shrub that has very successfully established itself locally - Chinese Privet. That stuff is hardy, quick growing, and had completely taken over my neighbors yard. I guess it has been two years since her grass was mowed and the weeds, briars, and privet now densely occupied her entire yard. This elderly neighbor has a never-working grandson living with her who has repeatedly mentioned clearing up that mess of a yard but, in the last two years, has done nothing more than talk about it...

So, last week, I walked to their house and awoke the grandson at 12:30 in the afternoon and said that I would like to assist in clearing this overgrown yard. After wiping the sleep from his eyes, he seemed to like he idea so I went back to my shed, fired up the Gravely, drove it through the woods, and arrived at the 'jungle' (now I wished that I had taken a before picture just show how completely overgrown this yard was). I even brought a tool (a pair of heavy-duty bypass loppers) for the grandson to use as I was clearing with he Gravely!

Unfortunately, the tool I brought for him to use saw little use; instead, he preferred to supervise my activities from a distance. Heck, he even stood at his post while I was dragging huge fallen branches from their yard... The grandson was even courteous enough to let me know that he was going in to eat some lunch around 14:30 - I guess that is my fault since I did awake him earlier from his nap. After filling his belly up he reappeared momentarily only to disappear again when his grandmother's home nurse visit person arrived (everybody apparently needs his supervisor).

Well, the difference in their yard is amazing. The grandson did say that his grandmother cried when she saw the change. I received lots of praise from my wife for this nice gesture. There was a time in the past where neighbors really helped one another out... this was also the same era where lazy grandsons where not allowed to mooch off of their poor grandmother. On a bright note, the grandson has managed to stay out of jail for the last six months so everything is not too bad.
You to huh fireant? This not working for the second week has me so screwed up I dont know if its day or night.
My life long dream is to live somewhere where my closest neighbor is 1/4 mile up the hollow. I would never leave the property.
Anyhow I would have gotten more done yesterday messin with mag but I couldnt get the gravely manuals to up-load, they always did before " the change".

·
Daryl G
884 Posts
Yes, my sleep, which has never been good, is worse now... We love the peace and tranquility of having complete privacy! We hear no traffic other than the occasional airplane high in the sky - lots of time is spent by our Gravely-manicured creek. Our little girl (dog), Gravelee, loves that creek too - she is a swimmer!!! Though, as I had stated earlier to you, we will be leaving to head to Upper Michigan later this year.

Concerning the Gravely manuals... I saved them to my hard drive because one day I seem to remember where someone had mentioned who the current 'keeper' of those manuals was. Without sounding like a jerk and assuming that this info was right, this caused me concern as I had little confidence in their ability and thought there may be a day when that resource of old manuals would become unavailable. Plus there has been numerous times when the webite simply would not work. Too much valuable information is there to risk losing that data! I would recommend saving those PDF's to your computer just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts