My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

We've got a family-run "hobby farm" that we're in the process of rehabilitating. We hope next year to have the fence repaired and put some livestock on the pasture. I attached a few pictures.

We've been using a Murray GT and trailmower to try and keep the pastures from getting too far out of control. We've also got a 1000 foot gravel driveway, and a regular need for moving dirt, mulch, rocks, wood, debris, and so forth. It's just more than our Murray GT can handle, and we're constantly burning up belts, breaking parts, and generally having a terrible headache. I'd say that out of the 20 times we've taken this GT out to mow this year, 18 of those times it has broken down on us before we finished for the day. It just can't handle grading the driveway (not enough traction). And of course, there's no front-end loader so any dirt-moving I've done has been by hand! :)

So, I've finally buckled under and decided that we need to get a real tractor. But man-oh-man are they expensive, as everyone here knows. As a result, we've been looking at the very bottom of the SCUT line--it's the most we could possibly hope to afford.

There's a John Deere dealership near us that has a John Deere 2305 with FEL, 62", and 130 hours. It's in excellent condition. The salesman I talked to said they'd take $11,500 for it. Seems like a good deal to me for an almost-new tractor, especially considering what a new 1023 would run (I think around $17,000 with loader and mower?).

My biggest reservation is that perhaps I am not going big enough. I paid $450 for our Murray GT. It doesn't bother me that much if we give it away to a Murray enthusiast--we don't have much money in it. But if we get this 2305 (or any other SCUT--Kubota BX2350, Simplicity Legacy XL, Branson 2400H, McCormick X10.25... the list goes on and on--I don't have a brand preference), I want it to work!

Anybody think that I'll be asking too much of a little SCUT like the 2305 by mowing 7 acres of rough pasture (sometimes bush hog, sometimes finish mower, depending on how rough), 1000 foot driveway, loader work, and (someday) backhoe, PHD, and wood chipper work off the PTO? Do I need to hold out until I can afford something bigger? I just hate the thought of going through another season without anything but a little garden tractor that spends most of it's time broken down...

-Josh

p.s. any thoughts on the price? $11,500 for a 2305 with 200CX loader and 62" mid-mount mower. 130 hours and good condition.

Attachments

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Josh,

IMHO, the JD 2305 is a very capable machine! It will do almost anything a larger, more expensive tractor will do. It just takes more time, smaller passes and a well thought out plan of each, individual project.

I should include that I own a few SCUT's but I don't own a 2305. I've include my opinions from extensive reading from 2305 owners and how happy they are. :fing32:

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
You might be able to do better on price with a used 2305. Here's an example of a comp: Used 2305?

I think if I was going to end-up paying $11.5K for a used SCUT, I would just pony up and get a new one for a little bit more. Warranty and known history would be worth it to me. I would want much deeper savings if I was going to purchase used.

Also, financing on a used model is harder to come by. Kubota and JD typically offer low or no interest financing on new equipment (Kubota is 0% for 60 months right now). 0% financing can also tip the scales toward a new machine.

You should be able to get a new Kubota BX2360, with FEL and MMM, for around $13-14K. A JD 1023e would probably cost you a bit more than that, and a 1026r would push the price up closer to that $17K number you mentioned.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what I've got on prices for new tractors from other local dealers so far:

JD 1023 w/ loader and mower: $16,900
Kubota BX2360 w/ loader and mower: $14,700

0% is an option with the new tractors, as you mentioned.

I'm waiting to hear back from a bunch of other dealers.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I take care of 10 acres, with a pretty good hill, with a New Holland TC-30, (30hp diesel). I've been totally happy with it's capabilities to do what needs to be done. I've seen used ones on graigslist listed for $11,500 with FEL. My neighbor purchased a TC-29, (29 hp diesel), with FEL, for about $10,000.

New Holland - blue, front left

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My gut tells me what I would be better off buying used from a reputable dealer, who has looked the equipment over and ensured it's in good shape, than buying used off Craigslist, straight from another small farm.

Am I wrong on this?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen used ones on graigslist listed for $11,500 with FEL. My neighbor purchased a TC-29, (29 hp diesel), with FEL, for about $10,000.
I'm really hoping to get a mid-mount mower. Then I can pull an offset trail mower behind me (I've already got one) and mow a wider swath.

If I get a 62" mid mount mower deck, then with my 44" trailmower I can cut a 106". Of course there's some overlap between the decks, and on each pass. If you figure you lose 20% of that 106" you get about an 85" cut on each pass.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I'll admit--I've found it difficult to wade through all the scams on Craigslist. I don't know if it's my area or not, but I'd say that there are about 4 scam posts for every 1 legit posting. I get frustrated trying to separate the real deals from the scams, and it seems impossible to do price-based search. "Wow, a used Kubota B3200 for $10,000! Oh, and a mower, a backhoe, a tiller, a front-end loader, a bush hog, and 7000 GVWR trailer..." You can always tell the scams because they include a ridiculous amount of equipment, and yet the price would be a good deal if they were selling the bare tractor.

·
Registered
335 Posts
that land looks done to me. im sure that a scut could maintain it no problem. you would need a 4 foot brush hog or rear finish mower for the fields and a mmm for the yard, or keep the murry for the yard. And a used PHD and BB off Clist and your set.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: another local JD dealer quoted me $16,539.20 for a 1023E with loader and 54D mid-mount mower deck.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
I would think a used 2305, or Kub BX would be fine for your place, as would a new 1000 series Deere of Kub BX. It would certainly be more productive than what you describe now.:fing32:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple more prices I've collected. From what I've found so far that JD2305 looks like the best deal--until I find a better one, anyway :)

Kioti CK20 with FEL and rear finish mower: $17,000
Massey Ferguson GC2400H, FEL and 60" mmm: $15,000
Simplicity Legacy w/ FEL and 60" mmm: $19,000
Mahindra 1816: $15,000
McCormick CTJ23 with loader (no mower): $10,500

For whatever all that's worth... there it is.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone really buy a Legacy XL for $19,000??? The dealer that quoted me that is also a Massey Ferguson dealer and said "you can see the MF is a much better buy..." he basically only quoted me the Legacy XL because I asked, not because he thinks anybody would buy it :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Jb, since you are interested in a 2305, I'll share my experiences. I bought one new in August a year ago for $13,450. Loader, and Frontier box blade, no MMM. My driveway is 1/3 mile long. After grooming with a bb, it looks like a roadway so it is a must have for me. What can you say about the loader? I'm glad I have one. I picked up a Woods RM600 (60" cut) rear finish mower in a barter and does a great job. I plow a very large garden, pull a disc and have a 6' rear blade for snow, it's a little large though. If you go up one size to the 2320, you get position control which I don't miss from large tractors. I have read the 2320 is a bit tippy on hills and the tall tires give an overall higher gear ratio which will force you to use low alot, this is only what I have read. All in all I'm very happy with the 2305. I think you will be too.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New with loader and box blade for $13,450? Where did you get your tractor? I see you're in Maryland so it might be a dealer I could work with. Depends on where in Maryland.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yup, new. I bought it at Atlantic Tractor in Whiteford MD. I worked on them for a while to get the price as low as possible. Where are you in WV?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in the eastern panhandle, not far from Frederick MD. I've actually got a cousin that runs a John Deere dealership there. I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts