My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building my first puller but I am stuck... You guys know the rod on the back of the trans that holds the hitch on? Well, I can't get it off, so any tips? I tried tons of Kroil and hit it with a hammer, but just succeeded in flattening one side, and stopped to ask before I did more damage. Also my brake band fell off, so can I Epoxy it back on? So far I have tuned it up, converted it to hand clutch, and have designed my undercarriage, that my weights, wheelie bar, etc... will all be held onto. And more input would be great. Thanks!

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
You likely also made the rod "bulge" when hitting it hard with a hammer.
This has happened to almost all of us at some point or another.
Save yourself all the sweat. Cut it off at the tranny boss and drill it out on
one side like you would a broken bolt in a hole.
Then hammer it through and get a new rod. They are not too hard to find.
If sacrificing the rod is too drastic for you. Try heating the boss of the tranny
(to expand the metal) and try tapping it out.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you seen these? They are about an inch thick, I "bulged" it (I always called it "Mushrooming" I am probably going to try heating it up, but I don't want to damage the good side for fear of never getting it out.

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Have I seen these? I own 25 or 27 (I forget) on each of my wheel horses.....lol

Be carefull on where you heat that tranny boss and for how long. There is a seal
around it to keep fluid from leaking out.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I wasn't trying to be a smartie. I got the hitch off (ended up cutting it of cause I don't need it) but I cant get the pin out... To day I tried heating it up, but that failed.

·
C-Series Bubba...
317 Posts
It depends on what life they have led. I have several C-Series and all of mine are loose...just depends...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
So you cut the the ends off and now cant get the left over 3/4 round whats let out on the tranny soak it with pb blaster try driving it out with a air hammer if that doesnt work a good drill and a few bits start small and go up in size untill whats left starts to turn well then youre done
good luck been there done that

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, will do OAR. Can't wait till my first pull. I'm thinking about putting it back to foot clutch so I can plow snow in the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts