My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my gas gauge and my temperature gauge are pegging at the same time.

If this was my dart I would be replacing the dash regulator, but I cant find any reference to such a beast on my JD X485.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
447 Posts
There must be a common wire for the two gauges that is shorting to ground. Most gauges will peg if you took the wire from them off the sensor and touched it to ground. It should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea except both of them are pegging at the same time, so I suspect that a reference voltage being supplied to both gauges is going to 12 volts when it should always be 5 volts.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You may be right. Open up the cluster and put a meter on the leads. I was thinking possible a metal panel had worn through each wire shorting them out. If its the voltage it would make sense too.
One more check for if its shorted wires is to unhook them from the sensors, if the gauge stays up its a short. If it goes down its voltage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the tech manual, and unfortunately it basically says that if the voltage out of the instrument cluster is incorrect, replace the instrument cluster.

Talk about a cluster ........

used ones are going for $900, this is not acceptable.

:(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Got the tech manual, and unfortunately it basically says that if the voltage out of the instrument cluster is incorrect, replace the instrument cluster.

Talk about a cluster ........

used ones are going for $900, this is not acceptable.

:(
You already have the cluster... Is there a way to have it rebuilt/refurbished?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, new clue The temp and fuel gauge peg with either the headlights are on or the brake lights. probably the reverse lights also.

·
Premium Member
7,825 Posts
Brake lights & reverse lights? Has that tractor been modified from the original? I don't think that any JD garden tractor had either brake or reverse lights from the factory.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Probably more correct to refer to them as running lights and rear work lights. They don't light up with application of the brakes nor when the machine is reversed as far as I'm aware (I own an x595). They are turned on via dash switch.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not positive on brake lights, but they do have tail lights that come on with the switch. And yes they have reverse lights that come on when the switch is turned to that position or whenever you start moving backwards they come on if everything was left how it left the factory.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think I do recall seeing the white lights light up in reverse when clearing snow at night.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Backup lights :

The backup light can also be powered by the S4 RIO switch. Power is provide to the S4 RIO switch through the A1 ignition interlock module and is protected by the F3 fusible link and the F5 fuse. The 500 and 505 Yel wires connect to the S4 RIO switch. When the transmission is in reverse, the switch is released and the 505 Yel wire is connected to the 830 Gry wire. The 830 Gry wire supplies current to the X12 connector to the 800 and 820 Pur wires and the E6 and E8 backup lights. The ground is provided by the 110, 150, and 120 Blk wires, X12 connector to the 122 and 100 Blk wires.

brake Light : is actually in the dash I think

·
Premium Member
7,825 Posts
OK, rear marker lights and rear work lights. That sounds more like it.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
sounds like a bad ground to me.
it will spike the volts at times then not
now you have more than one ground place. every thing goes to ground
and you need to make sure they all work or they can back feed

john

1 - 15 of 15 Posts