My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got a used vanguard v-twin 16hp, im having problems trying to find a picture to show me how to hook up the switch to the motor/wires........

the engine runs when i spray starting fluid in it and stops when it runs out, but i think it does that because the solenoid is not hooked up same with the other wires hanging there can any one help me ??

and the carb gets gas because i took the hose off and cranked it over and it spitted gas out of the line

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

both engine and key switch came out of a cub cadet

but here is the back of my switch does anyone have a diagram on how to hook it back up to the engine ??

·
Registered
645 Posts
Closest I can come to help you is to compare putting a B&S in a old Case tractor. The switch wouldn't do everything needed, no ground position for killing the magneto to shut it off if I remember correctly. I had to find the hot wire/switch on and hook it to the gas shut off valve. That has worked for shutting it off, although I did wire in a toggle switch to kill the magneto in case the gas shut off valve failed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im not sure if i can find a tractor to do this on, so i need info on how towire it all up on my bench till i get my project back home

·
Registered
645 Posts
The red wire with the white connector is the one that goes to the carb, so it needs power to start and run. The kill wires for the coils are connected to the terminal that's mounded on the housing, so it would connect to a wire that is grounded when the switch is off. As I said, my switch didn't have that feature. The red wire with the red connector is for charging the battery. You don't really need a switch to do this if you're only trying to test it out as far as that goes, just jumper the carb wire, and remove it to stop it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its going to be my wire harness once i get it all set up then i can mount everything.....

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
is this how u guys hook up a push starter ???

I thought you had the link to the Briggs manual from your other thread ?

That has the whole wiring diagram in it, and that will tell you what wire goes where.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
That is how I would do it if I needed just a start push button.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts