My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to all of this tractor business. My wife and I have a small horse facility. We know horses, but the farm side of it is all new.

We have Kubota L3600 tractor with an LA680 loader. There were a few attachements laying around the farm when we bought it. One of these was a big old snowblower. I dragged it into the barn and cleaned it up. It still needs to be painted, but other than that, it seems to work fine.....that is until I'm put into the mix.

What is the trick for using an attachment like this? I seem to keep breaking the shear bolt when I put it into gear. I'm sure it is all operator error, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
MTF MEMBER
185 Posts
when you go to engage the pto do you have the tractor at idle ? if not there is a good chance that it would brake the shear bolt when you engage the pto if you do have the tractor at idle when you engage the pto and it is braking you got something somewhere on the blower binding or caching or it could be that you don't have the proper shear bolt there are different grades of bolts used for shear bolts depending on the implement and amount of force it is designed to take before braking the shear bolt

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Lile buba said there may be something binding, can you turn all the parts by hand? That will help guide you to what may be hanging up. G'luk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies from both of you.

I can turn the auger by hand. I've engaged the pto and set the rpms to the correct level. The auger turns fine. When I push the clutch of the tractor, the auger stops. Then I put the tractor into gear and try to slowly release the clutch. This is when I usually break the shear bolt.

My tractor has glide shift.

Does this help you to understand?

·
MTF MEMBER
185 Posts
ok from what i am reading hear your tractor doesn't have a live PTO and the snow blower is not moving at all when you put the tractor in gear but it brakes the shear bolt when you let the clutch back out

the only thing i can think of is that the snow blower must still be turning some when you put the tractor in gear witch then causes a sudden golt causing the shear bolt to brake and then you don't notice it till you let the clutch out again if that is not it i don't know what to say but if you don't have a live PTO i would strongly recommended you get a over running clutch before you plow into a wall whaling running a PTO implement

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the Kubota's and many other newer non-live PTO tractors have an internal over running clutch built in. I know that's the case on my Dad's Kubota of similar vintage.

I'd check the adjustment (both tension and alignment) of the drive chains that spin the auger. If it's set too loose, when you engage the drive and things spin up, it could be trying to jump off the sprocket, thus creating a torque spike and snapping the shear pin. This wouldn't show up when hand turning the drive. You may also want to watch the chain while having someone engage the drive at low speed (idle), then slowly increase operating RPM. It may give you some insight into how the blower drive is behaving.

I'd also see if I can find info from the original manufacturer of the snowblower, and purchase a new factory shear pin. If they designed it for an especially strong shear pin, a new one could blow out pretty easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
are you the high or the range on the pto lever switch to the lower range and see if that makes a different. The lever should on your left when your seating right behind the gear shift. I know on my L3600 I sometime have to go on shift between hi and lo depends on the tool I have on it. Also as a suggestion do you have a quick hitch on the tractor. makes it so much easier to connect on to the implements. I donn't think the snowblower would work with it but all the other tools would and like I say so much easier to connect to if your doing it yourself.
If you need any manual on the tractor, parts and service I can download for you. My email address is: [email protected]
If you need any help give me a email. I love my L3600 and also got a zd21 and G2160.
Ltr Mike :thThumbsU

1 - 7 of 7 Posts