My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son called today he is working on a mower for a woman. She hit something and sheared the key on the flywheel. He replaced the coil, and fired the mower up ( blade fair and no harm to crank). It will run about five minutes then shut down. It won't restart until it has set and cooled down. Then restarts and runs for about five minutes and shuts down again. He has replaced the fuel line, cleaned the gas tank and carb and rest the coil gap to no avail. I am thinking maybe the coil is overheating and shutting down? Any ideas?

·
Registered
305 Posts
When it shuts down, did he check for spark? If it has no spark, this would be an indication that the coil is quieting, when it get warm.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
My first question is, if it sheared the key, why did he replace the coil?

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
If it runs for a time, then shuts down, repeatedly, it could be something like a plugged vent in the gas tank. Letting it run until it starts to draw a vacuum in the tank.

Of course, if it was definitely working fine before she sheared the key, then it's probably not that. But just a thought of something easy to check (if it runs with the gas cap loose, then it's the vent).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts