My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Neighbor lady single mom and pinched for funds) asked me to look at her mower. Its a 2003 push Troy Bilt with a 6.5HP Briggs engine. It starts on the first pull runs strong and clean (no throttle control) for about 15 minutes then dies. I said hmmm. I'll look at it ( thinking its the coil).

Well I pulled the old one- it looked like it had slipped against the flywheel and was worn. Got a new coil, cleaned it whole motor top side for her re-installed the new coil and gapped it with the single business card ( like a lawn boy).

I pull it it runs clean for about 10 seconds then dies.

Any ideas or links on where I can re-check the coil gap (procedure). Any other ideas-seems to be getting fuel. I pulled the plug and rested it on the cooling fin next to the plug hole-and it is getting some spark I just can't tell how strong.

Any ideas. I hate to send her to the local place and pay more than the mower is worth just to get it running.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Hey guys. Neighbor lady single mom and pinched for funds) asked me to look at her mower. Its a 2003 push Troy Bilt with a 6.5HP Briggs engine. It starts on the first pull runs strong and clean (no throttle control) for about 15 minutes then dies. I said hmmm. I'll look at it ( thinking its the coil).

Well I pulled the old one- it looked like it had slipped against the flywheel and was worn. Got a new coil, cleaned it whole motor top side for her re-installed the new coil and gapped it with the single business card ( like a lawn boy).

I pull it it runs clean for about 10 seconds then dies.

Any ideas or links on where I can re-check the coil gap (procedure). Any other ideas-seems to be getting fuel. I pulled the plug and rested it on the cooling fin next to the plug hole-and it is getting some spark I just can't tell how strong.

Any ideas. I hate to send her to the local place and pay more than the mower is worth just to get it running.
Sounds like it's running out of fuel.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does sound like it's running out of fuel. Maybe restricted and won't keep bowl full enough to keep it running. If you let it sit the bowl will fill back up and will run again for a bit I imagine.
SO is everyone thinking float sticking ??

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
Not absolutely, could be a restriction anywhere from tank the needle/seat slowing the fuel flow. Could be the float, I would pull it, clear everything back to the tank, check out the needle/seat/float, adjust......

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Not absolutely, could be a restriction anywhere from tank the needle/seat slowing the fuel flow. Could be the float, I would pull it, clear everything back to the tank, check out the needle/seat/float, adjust......
:ditto:

It is definitely a fuel delivery issue. Could be dirt in the bowl or tank. Could be a partially kinked or collapsed fuel line. TGore's advise is probably going to get you where you need to be. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks...i'll go that route.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I have had problems with the fuel line kinking when I've added a fuel filter and not being flexible enough to make the new bend. Sometimes it's hard to see when the shroud's back on. Trimming the fuel line to accomodate is important, don't just cut and add the filter. I find the black fuel line hard to make the proper bends. Find the clear, very flexible fuel line. It works better for me.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get the Tygon fuel line and be done with it
I like those...any idea what the ID/OD of the fuel line needs to be for LBs?

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
inner diameter is 1/4 of an inch, the outside diameter doesn't really matter, as the see-thru kind of fuel lines are thinner walled then the black fuel lines. If you get the see-thru lines, make sure they don't slide off of the gastank outlet nipple. I have one on my trash/ditch lawnboy and the dang thing slides off, and the standard hose clamps don't hold onto it because the hose's outer diameter is too small. I'm going to rip that piece of junk off and go with the good old black rubber ones, never had a problem with them and most of the time you don't even need hose clamps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts