My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to disconnect my kill switch but the manuals only show wiring diagrams and no pictures (I like pictures!). I want to bypass all safety switches since I have been dealing with an intermittent shutdown. I am hoping it is related to a bad safety sensor since it appears that ignition modules rarely fail (??). Does not appear to be temperature related & I don’t have the oil sensor. Gas cap, gas filter, oil filter/change, air filter, carb bowl cleaned and double checked the gas solenoid.

It appears that the man connection is on the ignition module which I guess would be under the top of the engine cover. There is a 3 wire connector on the side of the engine that has 2 white wires and a black wire in the middle. What is this connector? None of the diagrams show 2 white wires connecting to a point where a black wire is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Something I forgot to mention! When it is dying, I turn off the key the usually start it back up. Sometimes it will just turn over and backfire....after a minute or so she starts back up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What kind of problems were you having?

Reason I ask is I'm having some issues with a Kohler CV16S right now. Runs fine for a while, then all of a sudden starts back firing and won't run properly. Shut it down, start it up, runs for a couple seconds, then it backfires again. Try it the next day and it still backfires. Last time I thought I had a problem with the spark plug wire being loose, so I crimped it tighter around the spark plug and it worked fine for a couple weeks. Now it's backfiring again.

I'm guessing it's a small piece of debris clogging one of the jets in the carb, or getting stuck in the fuel pump, but just wanted to see if you had the same issues or not.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Kohler 15 command and 16 command love to backfire. It was designed into the motor
to scare people and make them jump!!!!! Kohler says this is normal don't you know something must be wrong with you the operator. I have a 16 hp briggs twin and in almost twenty years it has never once backfired!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah I'm not a real fan of this Kohler. The only thing keeping me from changing it out to the spare Briggs flat twin I have sitting around is I need a 16 amp charging circuit so I can run the electric clutch. I know I can change the stator out, but I don't know if I have to change the flywheel with the magnets though to get a 16 amp circuit on it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't want to start any disagreements over engines but I have owned 5 Briggs and Stratton, 2 push mowers, 4108 Simplicity, Simplicity Sunrunner 16, and Landlord 20-50. Have yet to have a good one. First 4 were misquito foggers and the Landlord I had to drain the oil/gas every time I mowed. Two different dealers couldn't find any problem. Currently have an 18, 20, and 27 Kohlers plus a 16 Onan and wouldn't trade any for a Briggs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of problems were you having?

Reason I ask is I'm having some issues with a Kohler CV16S right now. Runs fine for a while, then all of a sudden starts back firing and won't run properly. Shut it down, start it up, runs for a couple seconds, then it backfires again. Try it the next day and it still backfires. Last time I thought I had a problem with the spark plug wire being loose, so I crimped it tighter around the spark plug and it worked fine for a couple weeks. Now it's backfiring again.

I'm guessing it's a small piece of debris clogging one of the jets in the carb, or getting stuck in the fuel pump, but just wanted to see if you had the same issues or not.

Same exact problem....when through all you are going through.....carb...spark...for years (NO JOKE). I finally replaced the GENUINE KOHLER PART 1258404-S MODULE, IGNITION
which some other people told me it would not be the problem (not people here) and it has been fine for over a year....except that I ruined the gas cutoff device on the carb so now I have to let her sit still for about 30 seconds before I cut it off or it backfires and then the poor dog freaks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Same exact problem....when through all you are going through.....carb...spark...for years (NO JOKE). I finally replaced the GENUINE KOHLER PART 1258404-S MODULE, IGNITION
which some other people told me it would not be the problem (not people here) and it has been fine for over a year....except that I ruined the gas cutoff device on the carb so now I have to let her sit still for about 30 seconds before I cut it off or it backfires and then the poor dog freaks!
Thanks a ton! You saved me a bunch of time trouble shooting and repairing. I'll order up one of those modules now. :trink39:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts