My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is my grubby new little acquisition. It’s a free Lawn Chief that I need to get running soon in order to mow the half acre at my new house. I would have posted in the “By Brand” forums, but I have no idea what this thing is or who made it. A quick search on here tells me that it could be a Murray or MTD, and that True Value hardware may have sold it. It has some styling that resembles the few Murrays that my Grandma and Uncle had. I shot some pictures.
Today’s job is rewire the thing, get a battery, rebuild the carb and get two new front wheels/tires. The motor will turn over with jumper cables, but there’s no ignition switch. It’s rewiring from the ground up for this one. I am a mechanical person. My other project is a 1966 Beetle. I have built one stock and one hi-po motor for it.

Engine
10hp Briggs
Model -- 220707
Type -- 0651 01
Code -- 86013111

Tractor
Lawn Chief ?
Model # -- 8 1030 VD
Date – 6-308 8X57 0816

That’s what I can tell, anyway. The label is worn, but preserved well due to hiding under a half-inch of greasy grassy goodness for probably years. Any help, parts, diagrams or manuals for this thing out there? I’d appreciate it.

And before you ask, it’s a ’31 Ford Model A.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm more interested in the blue & black in the background of the first pic. How about some more pic's of that? (Maybe in another thread?)

·
Super Moderator
17,140 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is my dad's 1931 Model A Tudor. It was restored about 20 years ago, before he bought it. It has a milled-down head for 5.5:1 compression, cast iron drums all around and a new wiring harness. Still 6 volts and positive ground. We installed a Mitchell overdrive box about three years ago. With it, you can split each gear...effectively a six-speed. I usually shift it 1L, 2L, 2H, 3L, 3H.

Back to the tractor, I now have a carb kit, and the parts and pieces are soaking. New throttle and chokes shafts and seals are ordered. No luck on tires today. I could really use a wiring diagram for this thing. Otherwise, it's going back together without the deck engage switch, headlight, or neutral switch. Safety first! :drunkie:

·
Super Moderator
17,140 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Murray, which is now Briggs, and they were no help because the thing is so old. I called the link above, and they told me to call MTD. The issue I'm having is that the model #, 8 1030 VD, is not turning up. Lawn Chiefs are supposed to have a 300-H or 440-L style number. numbernumbernumber-letter is the format. I'm just going to bypass the electrics for now. I just want to see if it runs, drives and mows before I pursue it further. I finally got tires coming tomorrow. I couldn't hardly get those, let alone any other parts I may need. Oh well, back to the garage. I have the next two weeks off work.

·
Super Moderator
17,140 Posts
I'm sending you a PM with a parts distributor that may be able to help this time around

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I'm going to check my Murray "archives" now. That first batch of numbers after "date" should be the Murray model number. The last 4 digits is their date code.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Here is a link to a parts schematic for a 1987 30". The engine is "normally" 1 year older than the tractor so I went with an 1987 tractor. If it's not an exact match I'm sure the electrical schematic will help. If I have the time today I will figure out it's Craftsman cousin and hopefully be able to pull a manual.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Murray_Models_1968_Thru_1989/87-30502.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
According to This Site Murray made two different 10 horse 30" deck rer for Sears. Model numbers 502.255641 and 502.256172, neither of which are on file at managemylife.com, a great Sears manual resource. You can probably plug those numbers in at Sears.com for more schematics. Hopefully one of them matches your machine. I'm not sure how complete the pammar list is though. Hope this helps.

boneyard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I can get it to crank with the key, but then the starter releases and it doesn't STOP turning over until I remove the (-) terminal off the battery. I think my next move is an actual 4-position ignition switch. This is taking a lot longer than I thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After an aggravating week with this thing, I'm done. My folks came back from visiting my aunt and uncle and brought back with them their old Murray 12/40. It sat in the yard for 12 years uncovered. I dropped in my new battery, cleaned out the float bowl and it fired right up.

Thanks for the help. Anyone in the northern IL area want a partially disassembled non-running rear engine Lawn Chief? I'll throw in a case of beer....:drunkie:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thanks for the help. Anyone in the northern IL area want a partially disassembled non-running rear engine Lawn Chief? I'll throw in a case of beer....:drunkie:
You drive a hard bargain. If you give me 12 cases I will take the Tudor:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What you don't see is the '29 Coupe and the '29 Murray-bodied Fordor. None are for sale last I heard. I was thinking about the Fordor, but a '63 VW Bus came along and I had to jump on it. If the Bus doesn't work out, the Fordor is mine. Sorry. :fing32:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts