My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who was driving his 332. It suddenly stopped moving with no noise. Now it will not move at all. Starts and runs fine, just won't move.
He had a bad valve on top so replaced both, still won't move. I was certain that the drive pin in the charge pump had broken but it was intact. He also checked
the relief valve on the hydro as I thought maybe the spring had broken. All is ok there also.
He says he can't see any oil in the sight tube so it sounds like the pump is not supplying any oil maybe.

I told him I would ask and see if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
59 Posts
If he cannot seen any fluid in the site tube on the back of the transmision, that would be a huge sign. Maybe he was real low and finally got to low. You should always see the fluid in the site tube, even if its been sitting for a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Do the other hydraulic functions work? That would help to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just picked up a 330 with two spools. The front grapple worked find with the hydraulics, but it acted odd driving it. It drove fine on level ground, but when you pulled it back towards neutral it would free spool and not slow down sometimes. When I went to load it on the trailer, as soon as the front wheels were off the ground it stopped, reverse also did not work. Had to get a running start. Got it home and noticed the sight tube has no fluid in it. Have not filled it yet because I pulled the motor to put into a 322 with power steering. But that is the odd behaviour when it gets low, and the threshold from kind of working to not working at all is a fine line. Front wheels 5 inches off the ground did it.

·
Parts collector
2,985 Posts
Add fluid and then look for leaks, normally a hydro transmission will let you know when it is that low on fluid. It acts up pretty bad when fluid isn't being pumped.

Cycle the deck lift up and down, forward, reverse, forward, reverse and check the level again.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Do not check fluid level with engine running. Stop engine and wait about 5 to 10 minutes, THEN check level. Just as a precaution/check, loosen fill cap as this is also the vent. Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a customer who was driving his 332. It suddenly stopped moving with no noise. Now it will not move at all. Starts and runs fine, just won't move.
He had a bad valve on top so replaced both, still won't move. I was certain that the drive pin in the charge pump had broken but it was intact. He also checked
the relief valve on the hydro as I thought maybe the spring had broken. All is ok there also.
He says he can't see any oil in the sight tube so it sounds like the pump is not supplying any oil maybe.

I told him I would ask and see if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks for any input
** UPDATE**
talked to the customer who said that no hydraulic functions work. Everything appears normal. No leaks, nothing broken new oil and filter etc.
Do you think it sounds like the charge pump needs to be replaced? It is covered with grey paint so it appears it might have been replaced at some point.
All appears ok visually with the charge pump, no scoring, rough spots etc.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
329 Posts
When he says “no hydraulic functions work”, does he mean none at all? Like the power steering doesn’t work or the deck lift?

I initially posted that it had to be the charge pump gerotor drive pin, but edited my reply when I reread you said the pin was intact. He didn’t take the charge pump off to replace the seal and then replace the pump upside down did he? It will actually fit upside down and bolt up, so I believe that could cause a problem.

Have him start it and look at the PTO output stub on the rear of the transmission to confirm the input shaft is turning all the way thru the transmission and hasn’t actually snapped internally, although I dont know how that could happen, I guess it is a possibility if all the simple stuff checks out - like low fluid level, didn’t remove the cellophane on the filter before installing ( seen this happen on a car - can’t remember if the Deere filter has a protective cover), stuck relief valves, collapsed suction hose, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When he says “no hydraulic functions work”, does he mean none at all? Like the power steering doesn’t work or the deck lift?

I initially posted that it had to be the charge pump gerotor drive pin, but edited my reply when I reread you said the pin was intact. He didn’t take the charge pump off to replace the seal and then replace the pump upside down did he? It will actually fit upside down and bolt up, so I believe that could cause a problem.

Have him start it and look at the PTO output stub on the rear of the transmission to confirm the input shaft is turning all the way thru the transmission and hasn’t actually snapped internally, although I dont know how that could happen, I guess it is a possibility if all the simple stuff checks out -
No, the pin was not broken, that is what I had suspected was wrong. It just stopped moving. It doesn't make sense. I hope someone has some idea because I'm stumped!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good luck with it and you may post on Weekend Freedom Machines as well if you haven’t already. Between these two forums there isnt much that hasn’t been diagnosed and fixed.

Please post the remedy when you get it sorted, it will help others who may experience similar issues.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I never read where you confirmed fluid was added and properly showing in the sight glass. I have never looked at it while running, but I know turned off sitting still you need to make sure the fluid level is correct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts