My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2002 X585 and the hood becomes superheated after running for about fifteen minutes. I ran it with the hood open and discovered that the exhaust pipes coming from the head are bright orange while running! Any ideas on how to fix this problem. :praying:
Thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sounds like it is running too lean.
Is that one fuel injected or carb?
If it's a carb the high and or low speed may need richened up a bit.
Is the air filter clean? How long has it been since the fuel filter has been replaced?
Check the vent on the fuel cap to make sure it is not clogged.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
If the pipes are that hot in daylight, and the engine still runs OK, (or so you think) I would suspect the timing is retarded. If it was that lean, it wouldn't have any useable power. Since I'm by no means a JD expert, I'll suggest that if it's air cooled, make sure the cooling system is clean.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
You need to get a tune up ASAP. Is the water pump working? Have you ever flushed out your cooling system. Had the valve clearances checked? slkpk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice I will give it another try tomorrow!

Maverick- It is Fuel injected. I just replaced the fuel and air filter. The vent is also clear on the fuel tank.

rscurtis- The engine actually sounds great and has plenty of power for mowing. The machine is liquid cooled.

farmer- How do I tune up a EFI engine? Any help would be appreciated.

slkpk- The water pump appears to be functioning properly. I will flush the cooling system and check the valve clearances tomorrow too.

Thanks again for all your help please keep the ideas flowing. I will give you guys an update sometime tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Does it in fact overheat? It's very common for the head pipes to glow orange these days due to the very lean fuel/air mix due to EPA regulations. Some folks don't see it unless they operate at night.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it in fact overheat? It's very common for the head pipes to glow orange these days due to the very lean fuel/air mix due to EPA regulations. Some folks don't see it unless they operate at night.
I don't think so. Although I'm currently still working at getting the temperature gauge to work properly.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
We use to have an old massey 65 diesel tractor and when you worked it hard the end of the muffler would get cherry red. At night you could actually see a small flame at the end of muffler. As far as getting a tune up, myself I would take it to a shop or JD dealer that was capable of checking timing and whatever it needed. Maybe you have all the equipment to do it yourself, I don't.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm gonna try a few more of the ideas before I head to the dealer. I'll try keep you posted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks for your help guys. I was able to to get the temperature guage to work and the engine was running cool. So I called my local dealer and the mechanics there said that it is normal for the exhaust to run that hot.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
623 Posts
Now that's good news JD21295

1 - 13 of 13 Posts