My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey evryone

i have a farmall A this this runs awsome will go out in -10* and a couple cranks it will fire right up but after about 20 minutes, half hour it will jsut die its like shutting off a switch, wait couple hours or the next day go out and it will fire right up. after it dies i have taken the wire coming out of the mag off and crank it over and it will have lots of spark and im out of ideas on whats going on so if anyone could help me that would be great

kyle.m

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Kyle, pull the feul line off at the carb and check for a good fuel flow. Also take the feul elbow out of the carb, there's a screen on the inside end of it that often plugs up. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i checked my fule flow before i started it and there was lots of flow and checked the screen and it was cleen so i start it up and it sat there and idel for a good hour went out and reved it up and it put out some black smoke then started to die, checked my fule flow still lots of fule flow so i thought mabey my vent in my gas cap was pluged and it was sucking on the tank and not geting air but no luck after it died i took the cap off and there was no sucktion noice or nothing. checked the spark and lots of spark so i put the choke on and cranked it over and it puffed out a little bit of white smoke but never fired.....so im confused cause the only thing that would make it smoke is getting too much fule

please help if you have any idea

thanks kyle.m

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Out of ideas?

It's an internal combustion engine... what does it need to run?

spark at the right time

compression ( also at right time )

fuel

air

.. since it was running and you can breathe while running it, we can rule out compression and air,.. and it was running and starts easilly.. so timing is good or at least close enough.. and you verified spark after stall.. that leaves but one thing to check.... fuel.

soundguy

hey evryone

i have a farmall A this this runs awsome will go out in -10* and a couple cranks it will fire right up but after about 20 minutes, half hour it will jsut die its like shutting off a switch, wait couple hours or the next day go out and it will fire right up. after it dies i have taken the wire coming out of the mag off and crank it over and it will have lots of spark and im out of ideas on whats going on so if anyone could help me that would be great

kyle.m

·
Registered
6 Posts
McG, Does your "A" have a distributor or a magneto? If it has a distributor, it sounds more like a bad coil than anything else. Weak or bad coils will many times allow you to start the engine while cold but tend to break down after they get warm up. As one poster said, an internal combustion engine needs three things, fuel, air, and spark (at the right time). You verified the presence of abundant fuel and air, so spark would be the next place to look, and since your engine starts good when cold, you are losing spark when the engine and its components heat up. ergo a bad coil.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
I think the key here is the puff off black smoke when opening the throttle, sounds like too rich on the high speed circuit, flooding out maybe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts