My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

still hunting down parts for my new to me GT6000 (or GT-18 however you want to think of it). come spring it would be nice to find a working deck for it but not having much luck at the local yard. i'm also keeping an eye on craigslist.

in the mean time i'm curious to know what other tractors came with similar decks to broaden the search a bit. my mower lists a 917.253991 (or 25399) deck which is a 44" and looks like this:

it is driven by the central pulley, through the mule drive, onto the PTO off the front of the briggs 18hp twin.

any ideas on other models that might have shared this style deck? i don't need a 44" (i think the briggs would be OK with bigger or slightly smaller) but it would be nice to be able to mow with it. thanks

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts
I can't help on that one, too new. Sorry.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the bump anyhow GT_80

quick question for you: none of the 60-70s suburbans use the front mule drive? i've seen a few at the junkyard and they always have side mounted engines.

that's the crazy thing about hunting for tractor stuff from the late 80s. if i had an older tractor i'd have all kinds of backup decks and accessories by now :dunno:

·
Registered
245 Posts
You can look at the old AYP mowers. Yard Pros, Lowes, Statesman, Winston Pro (12" rear wheel). I had a 50" deck that looked almost exactly like this one. Actually I think they used the same drawing but gave it different numbers to the items.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can look at the old AYP mowers. Yard Pros, Lowes, Statesman, Winston Pro (12" rear wheel). I had a 50" deck that looked almost exactly like this one. Actually I think they used the same drawing but gave it different numbers to the items.
thanks! i don't think any of those brands are at the junkyard i go to but at least i'll have something else to look for.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looking on nearby craigslist pages i think i found a 50" that would work. it has all the right clips / attach points on it. i wonder if my 18hp would be able to power the 50" ok?

·
Registered
368 Posts
As long as you are not mowing a corn field,, 18HP should be fine

d

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had a 18 hp opposing twin on my Yard Pro with a 50" deck. It would sling grass 6-7 feet away from the deck. You will have to go buy new belts because the spindles will be spaced further apart.

Theres a formula out there and it goes something like for every 16 inches of deck you need one horse power. A garden tractor needs somewhere between 4 horsepower to power the rear end. So a standard riding mower with a 48" deck will need right at a 9 hp. I say 9 hp motor due to a loss of 1-2 horsepower.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think the 50" deck will not be a problem if you can make it fit, hope it works out. If not, the earlier gt18 decks are very similar. The ff style like mine.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,230 Posts
I had a 18 hp opposing twin on my Yard Pro with a 50" deck. It would sling grass 6-7 feet away from the deck. You will have to go buy new belts because the spindles will be spaced further apart.

Theres a formula out there and it goes something like for every 16 inches of deck you need one horse power. A garden tractor needs somewhere between 4 horsepower to power the rear end. So a standard riding mower with a 48" deck will need right at a 9 hp. I say 9 hp motor due to a loss of 1-2 horsepower.
My old Wheelhorse is only 4 hp... It has a twin bladed deck and a rear end.

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,844 Posts
that uis from a old 60's 70's suburban wont work on urs

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here is a pic of the one I have for sale... I had the cover off as I was replacing the tension pulley. Mowed with it all last season. The part # is : 44" Mower deck 917.253645

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dunno, i don't think it will work. the decks for the newer GTs not only have the quick release pins but also the location of the connection points seems different. i'm borrowing larrybl's pic for illustration here:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts