My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have a Simplicity LTH 38" with a 12.5 HP twin B&S engine.

Briggs model number: 290777-0108-01

Engine won't turn over. Flywheel moves freely. When I crank it just moves flywheel small amount. Took off the cover and noticed a part (from top of starter?) broke of and was sitting on flywheel. See attached picture. Also plastic teeth on starter are very chewed up. Trying to get the picture to upload from my phone, will post when its done.

Couple of questions to help me get this fixed.

1) What is the part in 1st picture. It looks like it sits ontop of starter...it is spring loaded.

2) Can starter be fixed without buying a new unit.

3) Do I need a special tool to pull the starter?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hey everyone! I have a Simplicity LTH 38" with a 12.5 HP twin B&S engine.

Briggs model number: 290777-0108-01

Engine won't turn over. Flywheel moves freely. When I crank it just moves flywheel small amount. Took off the cover and noticed a part (from top of starter?) broke of and was sitting on flywheel. See attached picture. Also plastic teeth on starter are very chewed up. Trying to get the picture to upload from my phone, will post when its done.

Couple of questions to help me get this fixed.

1) What is the part in 1st picture. It looks like it sits ontop of starter...it is spring loaded.

2) Can starter be fixed without buying a new unit.

3) Do I need a special tool to pull the starter?

Thank you so much!
That looks like the return mechanism of the starter. It won't work without that. It's held in by a pin, and the usual problem with that is getting it out not it falling off. It basically just sits on top of the starter like you said and pushes the gear off the flywheel when the engine starts.

I would check to see why it fell off first, if the pin broke or just loosened itself off. If everything looks okay you should be able to drive a new pin back in, although while it's apart now is a good time to replace the plastic gear.

Assuming you have an opposed twin, you don't need a special tool to remove the starter. One bolt is underneath the flywheel and somewhat difficult to remove, but it can be done.

Good luck. :trink39:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a picture on top of the starter.

Can you tell me what part numbers I need?

Would like to do this on my own. Figured it out so far :)

Tried to get that bolt off, didn't have much luck but was running out of time. Its tight in there!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys! I will pick this part up! Can't wait to get it installed on friday! Hope she fires right up after this!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Thats the starter bendix and yes you can get it separate Briggs part #495978 and if you want th whole assembly it's #692024 that will give you the helix, roll pin, starter gear and the plastic tower according to the Briggs parts guide.

Just make sure you get the right starter gear one is plastic and the other metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that was a complete waste of time! Oil filler tub cracked where the mount is located (so have to get another one) and also the starter is fried. I got the gear set on the starter that wasn't too hard.

The bolt *power line* on starter just spins. Got one tiny rotatation after cranking and then nothing. Hooked the starter right to the battery and started moving the power line to at the bottom of the starter. Engine never fired up but when i moved it I was getting some power into the starter. I went ahead and ordered a replacement starter from DB Electrical. Should be here in a week or so.

I should have just bought a new starter instead of buying the gear set. Feel like I wasted $28 on parts that did not fix my problem. New starter was only $40. Live and learn...

·
Registered
596 Posts
That kind of money will only buy a used part around here. New is typically $85. Your last statement is the beginning of wisdom. Most of us have parted with our coin by not doing our due diligence on diagnostics. Figure how much worse it would have been to have hired the job done.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Don't feel too bad.
Put a tag on that part and put all the info you know about it on the tag. Hang it on the barn wall. You never know when either you or another MTF member might be looking for that same part.

Now, since you have a 'spare' starter, take it apart slowly. It might be only binding between the armature and the magnet, usually a sliver of magnet broke off when someone gave the starter a wrap with a hammer. Reassemble, test, and put a tag on it.

You're starting a spare parts supply, just in case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question for you guys, when installing the new starter, is there a special need to align the starter gears and fly wheel or will it take care of itself?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Don't worry about it, they will mesh together.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay guys! Got the starter on! It cranks does not fire! Will start for brief moment if I spray starter fluid into the carb then immediately dies.

I drained the inline fuel filter, hoses, and carb bowl. Now what! **** it...

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Well, I'd guess you have no fuel flow. Is the hose from the tank plugged? I have seen them disintegrate on the inside, and totally block fuel flow. You can test by removing the float bowl and letting the float drop to open the valve.
If you have a shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl, check it with a 9-volt battery to see that it retracts the plunger.
tom

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
does the carb have the anti-backfire solenoid on it ? Small wire on it below carb bowl. I suspect not as you say 12.5 hp. Sounds like dirty carb inside . will need cleaning

1 - 16 of 16 Posts