My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a snapper rototiller, loaned it out they ran it out of oil and ruined the engine, had it bored 20 over, new piston, rings, starter clutch, rod, lapped valves, set the valves .08 on intake and .010 on exhaust, setting the timing was weird, the marks wont line up immediately, to get tdc the crank mark is down and to set the cam you have to do the same and as it comes up they meet in the center ( if that makes sense) everything is torques to specification, problem is everytime we start the engine it races and shears the flywheel key, check and cleaned carb - it did the same thing - checked timing-same thing, so then I put a different carb off my other engine that works fine - engine raced sheard key- I am lost with this thing, it should fire up fine but I cannot figure out this problem. besides the carb can anyone give me an idea of what would make it race like that? I checked all gaskets, no vacuum leaks. engine is model 194707 type 0117 01 any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same thing, i checked the governor but what could be wrong with it? springs are good, moves freely in crank case, oil slinger moves freely, cant figure this one out

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
The governor has to be adjusted so that the travel of the governor coincides with the travel of the carburetor, ie, when the throttle is wide open the governor weights have to be fully collapsed. To accomplish this, notice which way the governor shaft turns as the carb goes from idle to wide open. Now, hold the carb wide open, loosen the clamp on the governor lever, and turn the shaft all the way in that direction. Carefully tighten the clamp without disturbing this relationship. This should get you going.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts