My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Im a new member, Hello. I have a john deere 5303 which is used on our acreage. I run a three point tiller and had broke the drive shaft off the pto. Purchased a heavier pto shaft and cut to size but everyrhing is too short now. If I lower the tiller too far the tiller pto shaft will pull a part. Cant lengthen it any more because it gets too long to hook up. Do I need some sort of three point extension arms for the tractor. Please help. Thanks, Bill

Registered
There are other types of shafts that can extend farther with a short collapsed length. Instead of a two piece sliding shaft, it has a three piece sliding shaft. They are expensive, but can make an otherwise impossible situation workable. I have used them in similar situations. There are 2 sizes I am aware of from John Deere and there may be others. The first one, TCA21744 has a collapsed length of 23.8 inches and maximum extended length of 30.3 inches. The other one is TCA21745 and has a collapsed length of 25.3 and extended length of 34.8 inches. Both shafts have 6 spline ends with 1.375" diameter. Does either of these fit your needs? As mentioned, they are expensive, more that $1100 each.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch! Those are expensive. Thanks so much for the lead. I have a welder maybe I can rig something up like that.

Registered
Welcome to MTF
I'm sorry you inadvertently cut your new shaft too short. There's no reason "if shafts are cut the correct lengths" that pto shafts can't be attached to tractor with tiller attached. There are several U-Tube video's showing correct method for cutting shaft's. What height do you have tiller when you are attempting to attach the telescoping shaft to tractor pto? If tiller input shaft & tractor pto shaft are same height when attempting to attach pto then this is the place pto shaft needs to be the shortest & not the ideal height for tiller to be when attempting to attach pto to tractor. Good news is you can probably get by with replacing just the shaft not the u-joint/yoke on one end(1/2) of driveshaft. Can you post a photo of one end of the telescoping part of shaft?
Jim

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to MTF
I'm sorry you inadvertently cut your new shaft too short. There's no reason "if shafts are cut the correct lengths" that pto shafts can't be attached to tractor with tiller attached. There are several U-Tube video's showing correct method for cutting shaft's. What height do you have tiller when you are attempting to attach the telescoping shaft to tractor pto? If tiller input shaft & tractor pto shaft are same height when attempting to attach pto then this is the place pto shaft needs to be the shortest & not the ideal height for tiller to be when attempting to attach pto to tractor. Good news is you can probably get by with replacing just the shaft not the u-joint/yoke on one end(1/2) of driveshaft. Can you post a photo of one end of the telescoping part of shaft?
Jim
I bought a used tiller (5foot) which had smaller drive shaft yokes which in turn had longer travel of shaft. When my tractor (50 hp at pto) broke a drive shaft yoke. So, I purchased new yokes rated for higher pto power but in turn it shortened the shafts and length of travel. But, I cut the new shaft to fit the tractor while hooked up. If your right then my question is answered and thankyou very much. I can definately lengthen the shaft some more
Welcome to MTF
Jim
Welcome to MTF
Jim
I cut the shaft to fit with the tiller hooked up! Thats my problem then, you are a blessing. Thanks so much

Registered
Have you watched a u-tube on cutting pto shaft? If not you should as the one I watched was very informative.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Im working on that now. The problem is the shaft ends up too short. When the tiller runs deeper the shafts pull apart. When the shaft was longer it put back pressure on my pto. When I went with a heavier pto shaft nuckle all these issues started. Larger nuckles shorter shafts. But I broke a smaller rated nuckle so needed to . Im looking into a cheap quick connect for the lift arms that will extend the shaft distance???? Thanks for your ideas

Registered
What configuration telescoping shafts are you dealing with? My guess is the shafts that resemble a lopsided triangle. If so longer shaft can be purchased & installed in your newly purchased pto yoke. Hopefully we can help you resolve your tiller's pto shaft problem the most inexpensive method!! Does your pto shaft resemble photo below?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
What configuration telescoping shafts are you dealing with? My guess is the shafts that resemble a lopsided triangle. If so longer shaft can be purchased & installed in your newly purchased pto yoke. Hopefully we can help you resolve your tiller's pto shaft problem the most inexpensive method!! Does your pto shaft resemble photo below? View attachment 2441666
Yes

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I cut the new shafts so I could just get the coupling attached to the tractor while the lift arms are attached to the tiller. Any longer and the shaft will start pushing back on the pto at level. I have already done that and it has ruined my quick connect collar on the yoke by grinding around the pto. Like I had stated it will operate the tiller but as soon as the tiller begins to run deep the shafts separate and come disconnected. Wont be able to get a picture of the shaft until I get back to this issue this winter. Thanks again

Registered
If yes means you have that type shaft in my photo then get a length of the male or female shaft the correct size longer than you cut-off shaft. Remove original cut off shaft from yoke & install longer shaft. Then measure for correct length & cut. I don't understand what you're doing incorrectly but the tiller shaft cut the correct length can be attached to tractor with tiller attached & operate correctly. This method has be utilized for many,many yrs & your tractor/tiller can't be that much different than others I've seen.

Registered
Acrerageowner2
Please check for personal message I sent you concerned your tiller's pto shaft

Registered
Was tiller fully raised,fully lowered(tines resting on ground or somewhere in between when attempting to attach pto shaft to tractor pto???

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
If yes means you have that type shaft in my photo then get a length of the male or female shaft the correct size longer than you cut-off shaft. Remove original cut off shaft from yoke & install longer shaft. Then measure for correct length & cut. I don't understand what you're doing incorrectly but the tiller shaft cut the correct length can be attached to tractor with tiller attached & operate correctly. This method has be utilized for many,many yrs & your tractor/tiller can't be that much different than others I've seen.
Yeah, I need to go back to meauring. Thanks for the help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts