My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My 5 year old Craftsman 18 Hp riding mower, model 917.273399, was caught in a flood.
After I retrieved it from downstream, cleared the water from it and replaced the oil and gas, it ran very rough and finally quit and would not start. Decided to pull the engine out and see if I could rebuild it. Thought it would be a good father and son project with my 11 year old. I rebuilt an engine in a small engine class back in 1977.

Once opening the engine, I discovered the aluminum arms that held the counterweight had desintrigated and the shards had chewed up the oil slinger. Don't know if this had anything to do with the flood or not. I ordered new arms, slinger, gaskets and a manual for rebuilding this particular engine from B&S and proceeded to reassemble the engine.

Got to the point of reattaching the wires and have these two wires with 3 connections left with no obvious place to go. Of course, I don't remember where they went.

It's a grey wire and a black wire. I'm guessing they go to the starter somewhere...but where? THe book and the owner's manual don't show them photographically. I'm sure they show on the schematic, but I can't translate to reality. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Roughrider,
Thanks for the quick reply. You may be close on one point. There is a plug on the front that connects to the hood that's probably for the lights. I think my son found a spot for one of the wires on the magneto (see next photo.) so one down and two to go. I started scanning the owner's manual for the coil and found a reference to a solenoid but on the useless diagram they supplied, it looks like it's located on the front left tire! Where would a coil or a solenoid be located and what do they look like on a mower?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the white wire should go under the cylinder and connect to the bottom of the carb float bowl. Te black wire with the ring ("O") head should be grounded to the side of the cylinder near the carb - I think you the screw for this wire also holds the heat shield that is currently bent under the carb.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
I think the white wire should go under the cylinder and connect to the bottom of the carb float bowl. Te black wire with the ring ("O") head should be grounded to the side of the cylinder near the carb - I think you the screw for this wire also holds the heat shield that is currently bent under the carb.
This is absolutely correct. The white wire connects to the fuel shutoff solenoid and the black is a ground that bolts to the bent shroud.

Dan

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
I am fairly certain that that plug go's to the electric solenoid in the bottom of your carburetor, assuming someone hasn't omitted it and replaced it with a standard screw. It's the anti backfire solenoid. It's purpose is to shut the fuel off to the high speed jet when you shut the engine down. When the engine slows the governor want's to open the throttle allowing raw gas into a cherry red muffler causing it to back fire. Sorry I was rambling. You should have. Two charge wires, one for the battery (small inline diode next to the plug) the other charge wire is A/C Current for the headlights. Then you have a kill wire for the coil. lastly you have the gray and black wire that powers the anti backfire solenoid, The little back wire with the hole in the end screws to one of the metal screws next to the carburetor, it's a ground. I had a 99' craftsman 42" 6speed. It also had the 14.5 OHV Briggs which is now on my montgomery ward. If it still isn't clear I can go to my montgomery ward and take some pics

Attachments

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
It took me too long to upload the picture. Oh well atleast you know where it go's now
Dollar short and a day late today.

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
The schematic shows the carb fuel solenoid wire as BLUE, but I imagine it could have faded to GRAY.
I don't see GRAY listed on the schematic, but OTOH I'm legally blind until tomorrow (cataract surgery)

ORANGE is AC lighting from the alternator to the key switch A2 terminal.

BROWN goes from the keyswitch L terminal to the headlights.

RED is +12VDC from the alternator to charge the battery etc.

I don't know what other colors might "fade" to GRAY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys were right. It goes under the carb. and to the side of the engine. I emailed this information to my son and he found the connectors and put them. on.
Later he called me to let me know he had rolled it out of the garage and put oil in it and it seems to have a leak. We'll have to investigate that tonight. I'm betting it's leaking around the shaft.

Thanks for all of your help thus far!http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/smilies/thThumbsUp.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got all the wires set and put a quart of oil in and it leaked badly, from appearances, around the shaft. Didn't set something right, I suppose. Going to pull the bottom off and re do the gaskets again.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Got all the wires set and put a quart of oil in and it leaked badly, from appearances, around the shaft. Didn't set something right, I suppose. Going to pull the bottom off and re do the gaskets again.
DOH :banghead3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still leaking some oil from somewhere. It also makes a loud clacking sound when we try and start it. Something must be bent.
Trying to decide whether to tear it back down again or try to find a cheap used engine and drop that in and be done with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts