My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a Dixon SpeedZTR 38 (S/N 128817) bought on a City Parks auction here in Johannesburg, South Africa. The machine is in a reasonable condition and came with a label "Zoo Lake Training" which may explain the little evident wear. The wiring is un-molested. However, as soon as the levers are brought in, or the deck is engaged, the engine cuts out. I suspect that there is a missing electronics module that should switch the start-up mode to a running mode. I have checked all available manuals and wiring diagrams with no avail. No reference to such module.

The deck had a few cracks, dents and surface rust from suspected poor original powder coating prep. I had to buy a missing voltage regulator and for the time being, I have by-passed the missing seat safety switch. The B&S engine starts fine and runs well without smoke. The mower clutch engages with the engine not running and the gearboxes check out good and. fluid levels are OK. The wheels have been rubber filled and the rear 18 x 7.50 - 8 ones weight about 60 lbs. I will have to change them for fear of too much flex on the hubs and axles...

Anyone with a similar machine, or knowledge about its wiring? Any suggestions?

. .

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,865 Posts
I am rebuilding a Dixon SpeedZTR 38 (S/N 128817) bought on a City Parks auction here in Johannesburg, South Africa. The machine is in a reasonable condition and came with a label "Zoo Lake Training" which may explain the little evident wear. The wiring is un-molested. However, as soon as the levers are brought in, or the deck is engaged, the engine cuts out. I suspect that there is a missing electronics module that should switch the start-up mode to a running mode. I have checked all available manuals and wiring diagrams with no avail. No reference to such module.

The deck had a few cracks, dents and surface rust from suspected poor original powder coating prep. I had to buy a missing voltage regulator and for the time being, I have by-passed the missing seat safety switch. The B&S engine starts fine and runs well without smoke. The mower clutch engages with the engine not running and the gearboxes check out good and. fluid levels are OK. The wheels have been rubber filled and the rear 18 x 7.50 - 8 ones weight about 60 lbs. I will have to change them for fear of too much flex on the hubs and axles...

Anyone with a similar machine, or knowledge about its wiring? Any suggestions?

. .
Try Googling Wiring Diagram for your mower. I am not familiar with that particular one but the typical Dixon has an "Interlock" Module mounted by the ignition switch with a whole batch of wires running into it. I don't know what you are allowed to do or what you want to do in SA but you can find what terminals are affected by doing some checking and put a jumper wire between hot and the needed terminal. Not allowed to even offer that advise in the USA. As a second fall back, disconnect the "Kill Wire" at the engine terminal of the B&S and jump in a supplemental wire to shut engine off. Be aware that in both above cases all safety switches are bypassed.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your suggestions and my apologies for not reacting sooner. A peaceful and enjoyable Xmas intervened and life happens. I did more research and more testing and regrettably have no further progress to report. As I was keen to try out the transmission, I disconnected the engine kill wire as Walt suggested and at least mechanically, the machine is in good shape. I only have to solve the cutting out when the levers are pulled in.

A complete wiring diagram with switching shown is still eluding me. The best I found is a wiring loom diagram without the actual switching shown and I therefore cannot trace the circuits when switched. I have however, checked my machine, wire for wire and except for the absent headlight wiring, every wire checks out. OK, the one wire terminates in a different place in the ignition switch and I will have another closer look but I suspect the wires were factory crimped in that position.

The control panel only has the blade drive switch, the circuit breaker reset button, the start switch and the throttle control lever. There are no electronic modules, diodes, etc. On the engine the regulator was absent and I installed a new one. There is green wire at its base which I also need to check further.

Thanks again, I hope to do more checking and will then report back.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts