My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a little desperate in search of a locking nut for the exhaust of my Gravely with a Kohler 301 engine. The problem is that I live in Germany and the needed 1" NPT threaded locking nut (stainless steel) seems to be unknown on Europe. I've seen I can buy them on the US eBay but the shipping cost is horrendous, in the order of 30 - 100 USD for an item that cost less than 5$. Is there anybody out there who could buy two items, which then in an envelope and send them to me? Of course I will pay for it, e.g. via PayPal.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Not stainless but could you use a 1" threaded EMT lock nut? It's the thin nut used to lock electrical tubing into boxes.............Mike

·
Premium Member
6,573 Posts
If you had a Deere dealer near, the K301 takes a M49423 lock nut on muffler elbow, two sources here are $15 range.

·
5,868 Posts
I don't think conduit fittings will work..NPT is a tapered thread electrical uses straight (NPSM) National Pipe Straight mechanical threads

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not make one from a 1" coupler, just cut about 1/4" from the end of it.
I did it, but because of the taper, it does not engage more than a few turns, I not sufficient.
If you had a Deere dealer near, the K301 takes a M49423 lock nut on muffler elbow, two sources here are $15 range.
There is a Deere dealer not far from here. Is M49423 the part number? The reason is, I was there once and asking for a 1/2" UNC locking nut but it was hopeless. They only know part numbers and you cannot ask for a particular sized bolt or nut.

Actually, since I have my Gravely, one of the biggest problem has been to obtain inch sized bolts, nuts, tooling etc. It's not that you cannot get them here in Europe but you have to buy them online and even if you only need a few, you have to buy a minimum amount, say 10 - 50 depending on the item.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, I will try the Deere dealer.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I did it, but because of the taper, it does not engage more than a few turns, I not sufficient. ..
Take a slice from further down the taper, not at the end.

Merchant couplers are straight, not tapered.

Look to some hydraulic fittings. They are high grade and usually stainless steel.

·
5,868 Posts
I did it, but because of the taper, it does not engage more than a few turns, I not sufficient.
Did you use an electrical or plumbing coupling?...if you used a plumbing fitting and the taper prevented it from screwing all the way on your male end ( the piece to which you want to add the locking nut) it is not NPT....you can attempt an electrical fitting and it may work

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take a slice from further down the taper, not at the end.

Merchant couplers are straight, not tapered.

Look to some hydraulic fittings. They are high grade and usually stainless steel.
I actually cut the "locking nuts" from the coupler. None of them could be used.

I checked hydraulic fittings as well. Most of them are using SI standards, i.e. mm. Some of them use imperial dimensions. However, the English standard and not the US standard. I don't remember which way it is out of my head but one have 15 an the other 16 threads per inch so they cannot be used without damaging the thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually cut the "locking nuts" from the coupler. None of them could be used.

I checked hydraulic fittings as well. Most of them are using SI standards, i.e. mm. Some of them use imperial dimensions. However, the English standard and not the US standard. I don't remember which way it is out of my head but one have 15 an the other 16 threads per inch so they cannot be used without damaging the thread.
Did you use an electrical or plumbing coupling?...if you used a plumbing fitting and the taper prevented it from screwing all the way on your male end ( the piece to which you want to add the locking nut) it is not NPT....you can attempt an electrical fitting and it may work
No, I used a stainless steel coupling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go to GTGravelyParts.com. They have them for $1.00 and they sell to overseas customers.
I checked GTGravelyParts.com. They have a Muffler Pipe Nipple (includes locking nut #10866) for $3.00 so I "started" to order a set. However, after recalculation of the price including Shipping & Handling cost, the total price was suddenly $55.63 :rolleyes: selecting the cheapest way of shipping. The most expensive shipping cost was $114.81:unsure:(n). Obviously I didn't place my order.

Instead, I checked at https://www.chalmersindustries.com. The had a Gravely Muffler Nut (10866) for $1.49. Their shipping cost was way below the one of GTGravelyParts so in the end I ordered a set of 4 nuts for total price of $19.16 including handling and shipping. In addition to this, there will probably be some VAT and customs cost on top of this in Germany, but let' see. Nevertheless, I will check the Deere dealer tomorrow as well.

Anyway, thanks for your help but sometimes I really feel like being in the diaspora with my Gravely here in Germany.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts