My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am kinda new to the world of Deere lawnmowers but very interested.
What is the significance of LA, LT, LX, STX, GX ,X , SX, SRX, GX, RX etc?
And what about the deere models that don't have a prefix, like the 110 , 140, 332, etc?
I know this may be a stupid or common question, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks
Erich

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
It's more than 45 years of trying to come up with different model numbers for machines.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a question. Where does the GT255 fit in the scheme of things? The lady our family helps take care of has one to mow with, and there is a snow thrower also (which I have never seen used.) I got to use it (mow) myself the other day, and quite like it, would like to know it's capabilities. My only other JD experience is with an 850 our church camp uses with a belly mower on about 10 acres. I got real good at even trimming around all the trees with that one, big as it is.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I have a question. Where does the GT255 fit in the scheme of things? The lady our family helps take care of has one to mow with, and there is a snow thrower also (which I have never seen used.) I got to use it (mow) myself the other day, and quite like it, would like to know it's capabilities. My only other JD experience is with an 850 our church camp uses with a belly mower on about 10 acres. I got real good at even trimming around all the trees with that one, big as it is.
The GT255 is a middle level garden tractor, can be fitted with a rear sleeve hitch for garden tools, blow or plow snow, good all around machine for mulitple uses. Not as heavy duty as the GT300 series, but stronger than a lawn tractor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would I be correct to assume that GT stands for garden tractor? Or at least did it during the time the the GT series was in production?
Thanks,
Erich

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,679 Posts
I'm not sure even people who work for Deere can figure it out. It's marketing.
It's more than 45 years of trying to come up with different model numbers for machines.
Aw, darnit, I was hoping for some answers... You mean nobody here has the...

the ...

The MOW-SETTA STONE!

I haven't ever been able to figure it out either!:sidelaugh

People keep trying to call my tractor something like a GX345, or a GT345, and then something else again. All I know is that it was called a 345 when I bought it about a dozen years ago (that's what my manuals say, too), and it was the huskiest thing I could afford when the 225 had frustrated me for the last time.

Exit chuckling, but still confused...

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
Its marketing 101. John Deere's way of playing mind games.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
GT (garden tractor) is supposed to be tougher than a LT (lawn tractor) is what I have been told.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
When written in Japanese characters, "GT235" translates closely to the Toyota word "Tercel". Likewise the JD desegnation "GX355" approximates the word "Carina" (shoulda been spelled "careen-a") in the Toyota lineup... In other words they HAVE to call 'em "something" other than "The Little Bit Bigger One" or "Not As Big As That Other One" or "Way Better Than An Lx"
. Guys actually get paid big money by big corporations in some mysterious think tank somewhere in the Himalayan Mountains for coming up with cool model designations.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah,
I think thats the conclusion I have come too as well.
I think HydroHarold had an interesting explanation!
Thanks,
Erich

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Hydro-Harold, you rock.:congrats: :sidelaugh

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Steamguy the 345 model was manufactured before the GX345. Basically the same thing, the GX345 has a few more options I think. I'm not sure when
GT345 was made.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I read once somewhere that in the "STX" Series of mowers the STX stood for "Suburban Tractor Experimental". Don't know if that's true or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts