My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I placed a wanted ad on craigslist about a month ago looking for a walk behind and I received a message from someone local yesterday.

He was not sure of the exact model number. I told him where to look on the id plate, but have not heard back yet. Probably an L, I think.
It's not currently running, said his father was playing with the magneto/points last year and it sputtered a few times but would not stay running.

Any clues to the ID of it from the pics he sent me?
He's asking $125.00, but also said "just make me an offer, I want it gone".
Just the plow included.
Don't think I could pass it up for 50-75 bucks, if he would take that.

Looks rough to me, but nothing some media blasting and paint can't solve.
I'm not too familiar with the gravely powered tractors, hence the post.
I've asked him to open the hood and snap a couple more pics.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Technically, the "5.5" HP engine. Looks like you have a standard metal ID tag there and not a brass tag unit.

·
Gravely1964
4,055 Posts
Im guessing late 40's maybe a 46 threw mid 48 would be my guess. Even at 125 its not a bad deal. I'd be real happy at 100 though. Looks mainly complete nice :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Heard back from the seller with the 1940's L. Serial is 42033.

Also had another response to my wanted ad just came through, another L but with a 30" deck, snow blade, sulky, sprayer, and chains. In running condition too.
Asking 195
That's more like it !

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
S/N 42033 would be a '49, which is consistent with the pix.

195 for a somewhat newer running L with a 106 deck and a blade is a good deal all by itself. Grab it!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S/N 42033 would be a '49, which is consistent with the pix.

195 for a somewhat newer running L with a 106 deck and a blade is a good deal all by itself. Grab it!
Waiting for a call on that latest one...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Seriously, buy both, those are really good prices.

·
Registered
384 Posts

mine is a 1949 as you can see the muffler, intake tube gas tank, handles (except forward/reverse - high/low) are all correct for that year.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would want the 60's L with the 106, but for $50 extra it's a no brainer to pick up the 'ol 5.5hp tractor. The tires look better, complete rotory plow, good hood, tank/shroud assembly and so on and gift off the rest.

A couple months later, hopfully the deals still on the table if you didn't jump already.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
I've owned 5.5, 6.6, and 7.6 HP L's and have not noticed any difference in power. Get em' both!

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts