My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I don't know what's wrong...maybe I'm holding my mouth wrong, but I just can't seem to pull the wheel off this thing.

The tractor I'm working on is the Gravely 1238-G. It has a Keyway cut on the axle shaft and inside rim of the tire, and it looks like that's all that's holding this thing on. Am I missing something!?!

I took a puller and managed to get it pulled all the way to the end of the shaft, the rim and shaft are flush...and I stripped the threads on the puller. The rim looks like it's never been off the shaft before, so I'm probably fighting agains 24 years of rust and dirt..but there's gotta be a way to get this thing off!

There is a couple bolt holes that are in the rim that looks like there could be wheel weights put on, but I'm afraid if I pull with these I could seriously warp the rim.

Can you guys give me some suggestions on how you get fused rims off a shaft?

Matt

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know anything about that tractor, never seen one. However, based on your description, it sounds like the end of the shaft may be slightly mushroomed. I would tap the wheel back on and see if the end of the shaft is beat up, mushroomed, or maybe has a burr on it. If so, you can dress it up with a little grinder and emory paper work. Then the wheel should slide off, providing there is not something else like a circlip holding it on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I took the C-clip off. Everything looked pretty smooth besides the Keyway being on the side...The bad thing is now I don't know if I'll be able to knock it back on. You wouldn't believe how tight this thing it!!

Matt

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Heat and continual soaking with your favorite snake oil. If you stripped the threads on the puller there is a good chance the end of the axle has been mushroomed a bit at this time. You may have to paint the rim... but it will come off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm probably going to have to invest into another puller. My father in law has a torch, but I think it's out. I'll give the heat a try. Thanks for the help guys. I guess there's no real special trick to doing it. Just heat and persuasion, I guess.

Matt

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
If you have to push it back on, polish the exposed axle and further back first. Then a bit of grease, snake oil, what ever you wish. Then work on polishing the inside of the rim just a bit. All of this will ensure that it starts moving easier. Then as you drive the rim back, if you must tap on the hub in the center, use a block of wood or such as to avoid disfiguring the hub.

If all of this goes as planned.. and you get the rim back past the original location, polish the exposed part of the axle. You are just trying to systematically trying to get all the corrosion out of the way and get oil/grease worked into these areas.

Good luck!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, sounds like a good Idea. I think I'm going to just leave it on. I broke the bead and put some oil around the rim to seal it back up. I bought some Slime that I'm going to put in the rim just for extra Insurance on the leak.

I'm going to get a socket that will fit over the shaft and an extention to knock it back on. Hopefully I can procrastinate this task for a while.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts