My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
OK...I got a 1994 Cub 2160 with the 40" snowblower attachment. Never had any problems with the deck or the tractor for that matter. I attach the snowblower and all is well but I blow about 1/2 my driveway and the blower belt snaps. After close investigation I notice the steel rod guard on the main pulley seems to have detached on one side and rubbed on the belt...sad but stuff happens so I buy a new belt ($73.00 + tax ???). Put it on and leave the guard OFF...now I manage to do the rest of the driveway and on the return to the garage the belt snaps again????

Checked all the pulleys, they all turn free, auger spins fine, belt was tight...hit a few small rocks with it, but no way that should have snapped...it was only 6" of fluffy snow, definitely not overloaded. Could I have put the belt on backwards??? Put the v inside on the large blower pulley (the vertical one in the blower housing), which makes the flat side run on the rest of the pulleys???

Any ideas?? AND, anybody know where I can get a belt for less than $80 bucks??? What a rip, must be some aftermarket one that fits on this???

I got a backup walk behind machine, so I'm not SOL. I'm thinking of stripping down the blower and replacing all the pulleys but everything seems to be in great shape but obviously something is pooched and I can't keep spending $80 for belts.

Any help appreciated.

Taiser

·
Got BOOST?
561 Posts
First, I would stop buying belts at the Cub Cadet dealer. fine a farm/hardware/whatever dealer that handles Gates Belts and hoses. Get a 'Green' belt if you can, they are shielded with Kevlar, they stand up to abuse much better. Next, check to see that nothing is bent to where it would wear the side out of the belt, etc. While everything may turn fine, something is out of line enough to chew belts. look closely.

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,108 Posts
I agree with OPB , hopefully you kept a belt to size it with. You could also have a bad pulley that is not turning free. Make sure you check that and if they are all free than you most likely have something out of alignment.

Dur

·
Old Fart
3,228 Posts
Belt tension. Maybe your belt tension is too tight.

If ya don't have a manual, try to download one to get the specs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
:eek:mg: I just looked on the internet and found a dealer that sells 3/8 kevlar belts in various lenghts at less than 10 bucks each. The belt is kept under tension by the left side pulley (spring), so I can't see it being too tight. First belt look like it was jammed by the steel rod guard under the main pulley (where the PTO belt transfers power to the accessory belt), but I took that guard off. There is no wear on the belt, no indication of slippage...it just snapped (I'll photo and post picture later when I get home).

Only thing I can see is that I put it inside out??? I put the "v" in on the main blower assembly and that makes the back of the belt run on the rest of the pulleys. It did seem to chug a bit near the end (there was only 6" snow and it was fluffy) so overloaded was not a problem.

Yeah the dealer is OBVIOUSLY a rip...and this was not a isolated incident...that was the price on the actual belt package. I can see paying 20 bucks for this but 73$ ??? And obviously Cub does not make these things anyways...they have to be contracted out...What a scam!! :1336:

DUMB QUESTION: Measuring the belt...is it measured by total lenght (ie as if it was cut in half and pulled straight) or is it measured intact and if it is, is it measured from the outside or inside diameter?

Thanks for the reply guys??

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I was messing with belt legnth again when doing the blower on my old cub. The best thing I found is to take the belt to the store because the stated legnth is a bit different than what I measure rolling it to a tape measure. I think the belt branded legnth is "Nominal" I actually have a long belt that is cut and I vise-grip it together at the legnth I need, then take it to the store.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is old but here is my two cents. I kept going to NAPA to get a belt and snapped four in a row within only 10 min of blowing snow. I called the company to ask them for help and the first thing he said is where are you getting your belts? I told him and he said "well there is your problem." Snowblowers take a more rigid belt. Mine was fine when not blowing snow, but as soon as snow started going through it my belt would flip on the drive pully for the auger. So the v part of the belt was up instead of down. I bought the belt the company recommend and it was only 30 bucks vs 45 from NAPA. Haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I know this thread is old but here is my two cents. I kept going to NAPA to get a belt and snapped four in a row within only 10 min of blowing snow. I called the company to ask them for help and the first thing he said is where are you getting your belts? I told him and he said "well there is your problem." Snowblowers take a more rigid belt. Mine was fine when not blowing snow, but as soon as snow started going through it my belt would flip on the drive pully for the auger. So the v part of the belt was up instead of down. I bought the belt the company recommend and it was only 30 bucks vs 45 from NAPA. Haven't had an issue since.
20 yrs ago when I bought my first CC, I was warned about using ONLY OE Belts, have done so, without any issues!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
I use ONLY KEVLAR belts on EVERYTHING!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts