My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I have recently started a rebuild for a Kohler k181,That came off a Jacobsen garden tractor.I tore down the engine a couple of months ago but all progress was halted due to a siezed drive pulley,about a week ago a friend loaned me his impact rench and we were able to muscle the pulley off the end of the crank,upon removing the crank shaft I noticed that there was no timeing mark on the gear,however there was a timeing mark on the cam shaft. This is sort of peculiar especially since the service manual on the kohler site clearley shows a timeing mark on both the crank and cam shaft.I am wondering if it is because this is an earlier model k181? Any suggestions about the timeing,what should I do when I get to the point of reinstalling the crank shaft? Here are some pics That might help.

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I looked every were on that gear and could not find one.I have seen Tecumseh engines with this problem.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Pretty sure if you look at the 7 oclock position in the last pic with the crank gear, you'll notice the line notch ever so faintly. This should line up in the groove in the cam gear. Install it, and watch the valve movements in relation to piston position. If it all appears right, go with it.

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually the last pic is of the cam shaft. I was simpley refering to the picture when I mentioned in my post that I had found a timeing mark on the cam shaft.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Look on the crank itself not the gear I think

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Actually the last pic is of the cam shaft. I was simpley refering to the picture when I mentioned in my post that I had found a timeing mark on the cam shaft.
That's why I said "look at the last pic with the crank gear". If that is infact it, it would match with the notch inbetween the cam gear teeth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts