My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that at 33 hours it's past the time for me to take the deck off the X300 and clean it up underneath. Also need to find the cause of a bunch of black powdery stuff getting all over the top of my pretty yellow deck when I mow -- probably either a rubbing belt or leaking grease from one of the spindles? I can't tell for sure with the deck still on... I might post some pictures later if that would be helpful.

Anyway, I've been having trouble with getting the belt tension arm to move so that I can take the belt off and then unhook the deck. It's so nice that it's hidden behind the deck support and the belts and is a pain in the butt to get to. Are there any tricks to getting the arm loose, or do I just need to stop whining and get it done (use more muscle)? Kind of makes me wish for one of the toolless decks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Look at the tesion arm there's a slot to put a 3/8 ratchet in to give you leverage to take the belt off. :thThumbsU

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Lean on the left side of the Tractor and find the tensioner spring.

You'll find a 3/8 scare hole for a ratchet

Pull the ratchet to release the tension on the belt and remove from PTO

Put the level height adjustment at zero.

Lock the pedal in lower position (toward the back of the tractor)

Remove the clips (2)

Push the mower a bit forward the take off the front bracket and "Voila!" :)

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!!! For some reason I was thinking that the ratchet went on the nut (arm pivot point -- sure makes for lousy leverage) instead of in the hole :fing20:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Getting off is the easy part. Putting it on can be a bear the first time you do it. slkpk

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
Just throw a small tree branch in there while the pto is running. The belt pops right off the pulley! Don't ask me how I know, but you can probably figure it out. :fing20:

·
Registered
294 Posts
step by step with pictures, man that was great.
The x320 which i have with the 48 inch deck appears to be different from the x300.
Any chance that anyone had step by step pictures for a x320.
Like to print that kind of information off and save it.
Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yo know I have the same black dust collecting on the right side of the deck. It happened after one mow and I cleaned it off. Then nowting for two mows, but just yesterday it came back. I have no clue where it is coming from. I have climbed all over the tractor. I would say its some kind of a mold or spore coming off the grass and the only reasons its on the right is that the blades push and blow the grass to the right.

Anyone have any ideas?
ine at least has the consistancy of talcum powder. The way it is on the deck it looks like it is freely blowing in the wind and not in one specific spot like a leak from an exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
32,617 Posts
I'm betting that the black talcum is from your belt. Check them for proper tension, any rubbing marks etc....

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I'm betting that the black talcum is from your belt. Check them for proper tension, any rubbing marks etc....
:ditto: If not the belt then look for the belt rubbing against the plastic deck covers. slkpk

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have black powder on the deck, it's from the belt rubbing or misaligned. Mine did the same thing when new, and at 25 hours, the belt came off. I put it back on and within an hour, the belt broke.

Called the dealer and he said there was a recall requiring realignment of the belt pulleys. After he adjusted it and replaced the belt, the mower operated much quieter and smoother. Suggest you let the dealer take care of this. It's his obligation with 33 hours, including hauling it in to the shop.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't know there was a recall requiring the dealer to fix the problem... I took the deck off this weekend but wasn't sure what the problem was. I guess I will check with my dealer. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts