My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I could use some help. I am in the midst of installing a rear pto on my x475
I have followed the instructions to the letter and trolled all the posts for help. What my problem is when the install is complete, the pto selection lever is totally locked, I cannot get it to the different selections. I have taken it apart and can turn the selection lever to the three different pto selections, reinstalled it with the same results.
Right now when I engage the pto it runs the rear and mid pto's but have no way to select one or the other.
Is there a trick to the gear installation something in particular that needs to be lined up that I may have missed. I did turn the lever counterclockwise and measured as the directions indicate.
Please help I have re-read the instructions so many times. I could really use some experience right now.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
573 Posts
:MTF_wel:

Just verifying your new gear is installed and fully seated into the trans with the snap ring in place.
The alignment dowel pins were installed into the main housing before the case was installed.
The new PTO casing should seat snug against the main housing without any binding .. that is the bolts should not have to pull it up into place you should be able to hold it fully in place as you tighten them and there are torque specs for each size bolt.

With all that said mine is occasionally hard to shift between positions. It seems to have gotten a bit better with some use but when it binds I turn the PTO on for a moment and then back off and then try to change positions.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maverick 74...Everything appears to be as you said, in the install the gear seated nice with snap ring snapped right in. Used the dowel pins and they looked good and snugged up correctly with just hand pressure.

Brett...yes i did see that and it was a help, it helped give me the confidence to tackle this project

I am just not sure what to do...I guess just take it apart and try once more. I am assuming it has to be a mechanical issue rather than an electrical issue even though I really don't know what those two plugs are designed to do that thread into the pto housing???
What else could it be.
Is there anyone directly at John Deere that could help? I have a call into a local dealer but I am not sure that they will be too interested in helping since I didn't purchase it there.
Thanks for the help

·
6,553 Posts
Is there any particular position the lever needs to be in, before the rear PTO housing is bolted back on, and if so, was the lever in the correct position. Just throwing out ideas here as I've never done this install yet.

EngineTech may be able to help, he works on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brett....through your idea and my local dealer called me back and basically told me the same idea that it sounded like the gears weren't synching up. In the installation it said to turn the lever all the way counterclockwise actually the gears needed to be synched up with the lever alll the way clockwise. Took it all apart and lined everything up and guess what IT WORKED.
Thatnk you to Brett and Maverick for talking a couple minutes to help me out.
Thanks so much.
P.s I know what you mean Maverick getting it back in to just the mid mount mower is sometimes a tad difficult. The dealer told me to engage the pto at a low rpm and then try to bump it just a bit turn off the pto and it should go in.
Thanks again guys.

·
6,553 Posts
Awesome RJX thanks for updating us! I had a feeling it had something to do with the lever and the gear mesh, but since I've not had my hands on one yet, I was just shooting from the hip!

I am glad it all worked out for you!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Cool saved yourself some installation money!!! I was thinking somehow the gear was not syncing up. Glad you got it going!!:greendr:

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Cool saved yourself some installation money!!! Glad you got it going!!:greendr:
Yep, my dealer charged me around $250 to install it. They did install the 3 point hitch free of charge in the package deal though. Glad you got it working.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I really don't know what those two plugs are designed to do that thread into the pto housing???
Those control the 2 indicator lights on the dash and also work with the seat safety switch. If you look at your instructions it explains you can run the rear PTO while out of the seat... for certain rear pto driven implements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts