My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh ye of the round table please advise...
well im looking for a new ( ie real ) tractor. i have a 20 hp bolens that i put a 17 hp engine on it because the 20 needed serious valve work. 46inch deck and 1 acre to cut.

id like to get a garden or compact tractor. something that i can move snow with ( pittsburgh pa) 50 ish deck and a front high lift would be awesome but its all about the money. saw a local john deere 1989 318. 50 inch deck. do you guys think the 318 is a good tractor minus the lift? should i look for somthing bigger or a diff model? worked on and used a few lawn tractors but id like to step it up! the kubota bx 23 sounds perfect 4x4 would be great ,but thats just too much money right now....... so im basically looking for some years/ models i should keep my eyes open for
any info would be great?
thanks
newbaum

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:MTF_wel2: do you want an older tractor that you may have to work on, or a turn key and mow tractor? also, any intensions of further attachments? ie. tiller, snow chucker, furrow plow, etc.... some are easier to out fit then others and some just dont like to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great reply , i wasnt to clean of my intentions. the 318 was a local and i wasnt sure if would be better to wate for bigger or a diff make / model but the 318 sounded like a good beckmark. and the size seemed good.

what it really comes down to is i want a 50ish inch deck that will run thru grass with no bog and good traction ( not really flat ground ) .pulling a loaded cart ( mulch , dirt , rock ) that i can put more than a wheel barrel worth in. i want a real tractor!

id like to plow snow as for other attachment who cant find a use for them haha. but in reality a front loader would get alot of use and some type of a grader/ plow could be used a bit. pulling a loaded cart ( mulch , dirt , rock ).

as for turn key it would be nice but i can fix most anything. kinda wanna something i dont have to play with ever time i use it

thanks
newbaum

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
What is your budget?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as much as i can talk my wife into haha
really comes down to that tractor and deal .2000 ish. but if its something that totaly loaded or a great deal probably more. that why im asking for some different models and makes so i can look around so probably high end 5000

newbaum

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
well, i now there is a suburban in indianapolis for $1500 w/ loader and ithink its got the 3pt. it'll get the work done. but no 50" mower. but........ a tow behind could be had for the other $500 and save on tractor wear. just an option

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats a pretty good ride for me in pa but good input. whats the model of that tractor id like to look it up.
being im mowing 1 acre around that house im not sure if a pull behind would work, how well can you follow land scaping and tighter turns,,,, only pull behind i have use was a brush hog on a farmall at a friends camp in quad trails and keeping the fields at bay.....
thanks
newbaum

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
You might get very lucky and get a tractor and loader for 2k. I saw a beautiful GT for 200 - that's because the attached loader goes for about 1600 and he was asking 1800 for both.:) And I think that was an unusual deal.

Judging from what I have seen on these forums, a rear grader is relatively difficult to find, but get a tractor that takes a true 3-point hitch, and you can hang darn near anything on the back. Decks, snow blowers, and snow plows are relatively easy to find. Tillers are easy for some , very difficult for others.

Anything that is large enough to haul a plow is enough to haul a heavy cart.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
if the hitch pin pin to wheel length is the same as your wheelbase on your tractor, it should follow a very close path. any sears suburban will accept a loader.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts