My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a new mower again. I mow my lawn(.30 acre) and will probably keep mowing my dads (.5-.75 acre). The lawns are flat except my backyard has a small slope towards my fence. I bought a 40" Craftsman plug aerator this spring, I haven't used it yet. I may eventually buy a cart for hauling things around the yard. (Mulch, seed, fertilizer, etc.). I'm thinking probably a 42" or 48" deck. Which sounds like the mower for me and my needs?

·
Registered
63 Posts
a craftsmen GT6000 they have a 44 inch deck and 18hp kohlers or B&S motors(depending on year) they run great and are work horses. they have 3 speeds foward and a high and low if your pulling a heavy load. overal great tractors

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm currently using '07 727a ztrak. I cut grass on the side but this year has been rough and I'm debating just selling or trading my ztrak in for a homeowner mower.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A push mower would be fine for such a small yard.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A push mower would be fine for such a small yard.
Your recommending a push mower for 3/4 to 1 acre of lawn? That's very noble of you, care to come over and push the **** thing? :) I for one can't see going backwards once you have a riding mower. While 3/10 of an acre is agreeably small, he also said he mows his father's lawn, with is 1/2 to 3/4 of a acre. I'd recommend a John Deere X300, that should be more than sufficient for your requirements and it should last years and years. I'm not fond of the lower grade John Deere L / LA models, but there are plenty of owners here that are firm believers in them.

·
Super Moderator
35,885 Posts
jd727a, first and foremost welcome to the forum! If all you're going to do with it is pull the plug ariator then TechGromit has you right in the ballpark. I would ask if you might be planning on doing any other work with the tractor such as ground engaging (tilling, plowing, moving dirt with a blade), if so I'd recommend the x5xx series.

·
Registered
153 Posts
From what I've been reading on this forum the xmission in the
X300 isn't the greatest and an X320 may be a better option. For just mowing the 300 would be fine but, depending on the nature of your soil, you may need to add 150+ lbs. to your plug aerator, and I don't know how the 300 tranny would hold up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My JD 155C had the same tranny as the x300 and it was fried after 180 hours. I have 2 acres with a steep (but short) incline at the front of my property that probably helped do in the tranny, but it happened to go right after I hauled a plug aerator w/130 lbs around my back acre.

For a replacement I had a the x300 in mind but decided against it due the k46 tranny. then I looked at the x320 with the bigger tranny, and finally ended up with the x500.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think if I go this route, I would like to get a x series. I don't think I would use any ground engaging attachments. We don't get that much snow here in eastern NC to plow although if we ever did I could get extra money for plowing driveways.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,744 Posts
The plug aerator you have is a ground engaging attachment, so keep that in mind while shopping.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Always buy one size or model bigger than you need. It will last 10 times longer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are used to a 0turn then you might want to take a look at the 4 wheel steer machines. They aren't as maneuverable as the ZTR, but they are a little more nimble than the 2ws machines. I test drove a 324 at the local dealer just to see the difference, it was a great little machine.

·
Registered
873 Posts
First, it must be a Deere!

Second, whatever version replaced the LX178I got way back when for the conditions you mentioned will give you decades of good service and it is a lot better than a push or self propelled mower.

Good luck

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't know that a plug aerator was ground engaging, I thought ground engaging was tilling the ground up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would a x500 be overkill for what I need? I'm not sure how much they cost but was wondering if the x500 would be overkill and should look at the x320?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Would a x500 be overkill for what I need? I'm not sure how much they cost but was wondering if the x500 would be overkill and should look at the x320?
x500 overkill? Maybe so. Would you regret having one? Probably not.
From what I read an x320 should be plenty. If you are going to use that aerator a lot you may need the x500. Its hard to say.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would recommend a JD pushmower for that little of a yard, but most of the folks here would buy a X748 to do it lol . I pushed a acre lot for 5 years and now that i have 3 acres i had to get the X500 so its what ever your floats your boat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts