My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I haven't been in the Cub forum for a long time, I usually call the Bolens forum home now... however I am the past owner of an 1811 and 2072 (which I traded for my Bolens HT23).

Soooo here is my question. My dad is looking for a larger tractor and mower deck to take care of his property and grandpa's.

I know a gentleman that has two 1872 SGT's forsale. I believe both are early 90's models, both with less than 800 hours total on them. I believe the one is at 500+ the other at 700 something. Both are identical other than one has the nice Haban 60" deck, the other has the 50" cub deck.

He also has a 3pt, but I do not know that he will sell the hitch with either tractor. All lights, and safetly switches are intact and work as they should. All decals are intact and the paint is shiney and pretty decent for tractors of this age. No other attachments are included with these units.

The owner is asking 1500.00 each. I'm curious what the values for excellent, oil free (motor & undercarriage) 1872's are. Both run well, do not smoke, and mow nicely. The only thing I have noticed with either unit is that one has a very slight amount of oil on the upper side of the rearend, I believe this is from the trans dip stick, and not the case (possibly where oil has been replaced), or a loose oil fill / dip stick tube.

Does this price sound reasonable? I will attach a picture of the one tractor with the 60" mower deck. This tractor is not as nice as the other, but only due to a few minor paint chips and a cracked seat (I actually have a new factory cub seat at home that I will give dad).

Also, will the 3pt from Dad's 1641 cyclops fit a 1872? Are all model years of 1872's exactly the same? How do I decode the exact model year?

Again, I really appreciate the help. Thanks you all.

Nicholas

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would pay $1500 for it. The 3 point should fit. The lift bar will be to short though.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If they are as clean as you say $1500 is a very good price. I've heard of real clean ones selling for over $2500. Those Haban decks are HEAVY!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2072 and 1872 are identical other than the displacement right? I owned an 1811 and a 2072 and they seemed to have the same mechanicals albeit the SFT had steer brakes and a longer frame. The transmission/ rear looked to be the same and the M18 and M20 seemed to be identical other than the internals. Perhaps the hood and side panels were longer?

The other tractor I didn't picture has a brand new power steering cylinder and decals, so it's actually slightly nicer. I'm hoping we can talk the guy into putting the 60" deck on that tractor along with leaving the 3pt on it for a few extra $$$. He also has a Cub Cadet lawn trailer. It's a really nice looking heavy cart. It's a metal dump cart, but also has nice wooden slat sides that mount to the upper rails making the cart taller. It has Cub decals all the way around and looks like new, probably late 90's or newer. I wonder what it would be worth? It's not a light weight cart like you'd buy at Lowes or HD.

Thanks again,
Nick

·
Super Moderator
16,473 Posts
Super GT 3Point Hitch 190-383

Standard GT 3Point Hitch 190-389

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's weird, the 3pt looks like the bottom unit. The arms look identical, and it doesn't have the provision for the rear PTO? Perhaps the 3pt is an aftermarket unit, although if it is its of excellent build quality.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The 3 point will fit both tractors. He will need a longer lift arm as the one on the gt will be to short.

The reason it looks like the bottom one is because the super you are looking at does not have the rear PTO. It could be installed, but not with that 3 point system.

There is absolutely nothing different in the back frame or rear end part of the super and gt.

Here is the parts tree page that states the 3 point for a 1641 also fits the 1211,1811,and 1812. If it will fit these models it WILL fit the 18-2072.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=cub_cadet&mn=389+3+Point+Hitch

This place makes 3 points for cub cadets. NOTE the same one fits the regular gt and the supers.

http://www.xtrememotorworks.com/Parts Catalog/Cub Cadet Parts List.htm

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wondered if it would interchange. Dad has his 3pt stored in the garage, he took it off so that he could mount a bagger etc, and because he wasn't using it often enough to justify leaving it on.

It's like new, but I think we'll try to negotiate the SGT with the 3pt and 60" deck, if the owner won't budge on price with the hitch and deck we'll just bite on the tractor and deck alone. However, if we can negotiate the 3pt in the deal, we'll probably just sell or trade the unit off his 1641. Be one way to recoup some of the 1500, or find possible trades for a blade or other attachments.

Thanks again,
Nicholas

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a GT 3pt on my super. You just need a super lift bar like joe said. Works perfect. I would take the tractor with the new steering cylinder. That cylinder should last you many years and you don't want to buy a new one trust me (175.00). I just got a 60" deck for mine. The only thing I would do is make sure the deck doesn't need any parts replaced any time soon. Parts are very expensive for the deck even the wheels. Lots of parts aren't even available anymore. The 50c deck would be better as far as parts replacement goes.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the 60" Haban on my 2072, but the deck on this tractor has much nicer caster wheels than what mine did (i'm guessing this is a newer model than what my tractor was). You can tell that the deck was lightly used. My old deck was well used, it along with my 2072 had over 3000 hours on the stock M20 ! It belonged to a local school district and was used constantly. Other than slight smoke at start up it was a great tractor... and ran like a top. I'm hoping one of these 1872's will prove to be a good mowing machine for dad as well. I probably should have kept my 2072, but I traded it to a cub collector and it now has the home it deserves (plus it's fully restored now).

I'll try to attach a picture of the second 1872 he has. I think they are both 8 outta 10's, but I wish i had better pictures to get your opinions.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 50 inch deck on this tractor is nice and solid, but the paint isn't perfect. Still pretty nice though. A little touch up work and it'd be perfect.

Whenever we get a chance to go back I will check out all the mechanicals. Just curious, are their any known problem areas I should check?

How can I tell the model year of these tractors?

Thanks again,
Nick

·
Registered
170 Posts
Years produced would be 87 thru 89 depending on serial number. That 1872 in the pic is one of the best looking original paint jobs I've seen for that age.

·
Registered
291 Posts
DUSTYCARTER,

782d, 882, and the 1572.

I think there was one or two others but I can't think of them rite now.

·
Super Moderator
16,473 Posts
Other Diesel's
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
695 Posts
The 50 inch deck on this tractor is nice and solid, but the paint isn't perfect. Still pretty nice though. A little touch up work and it'd be perfect.

Whenever we get a chance to go back I will check out all the mechanicals. Just curious, are their any known problem areas I should check?

How can I tell the model year of these tractors?

Thanks again,
Nick
I really like the 50c deck on mine. It has one of the nicest cuts of any tractor I've owned old or new. Especially with gators on it. I think I'm going to make a removable chute block and angle the nose of the deck down a little and try to use it for a mulcher.

As for problem areas check the bolts that go through the frame into the rear axle. If they get loose there can be problems. Also remove the tunnel cover and have a look for oil leaks and cracked mounting flanges on the hydro pump. Inspect the wiring especially around the pto, PTO relay, Ign switch. Look for melted connectors, cracked wiring and other sighs of heat. If the PTO was run a long time out of adjustment it gets the wiring harness realy hot and that can do damage. I'm repairing some of that on mine now. also check the condition of the hydro rubber power steering lines. and other rubber pressure hoses. Also the oil filter rubber lines. check the steering components for slop. Most of these are not real deal breakers other than the axle bolts just things that may need tending to.

Just remembered. Take the belt/pulley cover off the deck and look for rust through spots under there. The bad stuff tends to happen 1st where the cover edges vibrate on the deck and water sits there.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really like the 50c deck on mine. It has one of the nicest cuts of any tractor I've owned old or new. Especially with gators on it. I think I'm going to make a removable chute block and angle the nose of the deck down a little and try to use it for a mulcher.

As for problem areas check the bolts that go through the frame into the rear axle. If they get loose there can be problems. Also remove the tunnel cover and have a look for oil leaks and cracked mounting flanges on the hydro pump. Inspect the wiring especially around the pto, PTO relay, Ign switch. Look for melted connectors, cracked wiring and other sighs of heat. If the PTO was run a long time out of adjustment it gets the wiring harness realy hot and that can do damage. I'm repairing some of that on mine now. also check the condition of the hydro rubber power steering lines. and other rubber pressure hoses. Also the oil filter rubber lines. check the steering components for slop. Most of these are not real deal breakers other than the axle bolts just things that may need tending to.

Just remembered. Take the belt/pulley cover off the deck and look for rust through spots under there. The bad stuff tends to happen 1st where the cover edges vibrate on the deck and water sits there.

Your right about the deck, my 1811 had a 44" ( I think or 48" perhaps) and it rusted fairly bad around the cover, it also pitted under the cover from the moisture and water that it gathers with trapped grass etc. The deck also wore thin from rust in the very front leading edge on the left side (left setting on the tractor). My theory was that the grass gathered more severly on that end since it's the "non" shoot side.

I'm hoping dad makes it in tomorrow, or sometime mid week to look at these tractors. I also have a lead on a diesel 1782 with 3pt, rear pto, fender flares, and 50 some inch deck. The tractor is awaiting some engine work (previous owner ran it with a cracked air filter) I guess they have to re-ring the motor and do some other mild refreshing internally (unit has 800 hours). They also need to replace the clutch on the rear pto?, The tractor will come with the deck (refurbished mechanically, but painted JD yellow :thSick:), 54" front blade (like new), and according to the dealer the motor will be like new once they finish? They are selling it as a package deal for $4000.00 negotiable, but are very interested in dads garage kept since new 1641. I will attach a picture of the 1782 for everyone to view. Again, I apologize for the photo quality. My cell phone's camera isn't the greatest.

Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the 1782 is a tractor that I would love to own for myself, however i'm not sure that $4000.00 is a good deal... yet.

The dealer claims it'll have a rebuilt motor in the end though, so I guess that is supposed to justify the price. The bad part is that it won't be available for another 2 months (mowing season in Ohio will be winding up soon), as they are very backed up with service work and will not bother with this tractor until all the customer units are serviced. This could be a problem for dad since he needs a mower now. He is also interested in the 60" deck on the one 1872... so here is an odd question. Will the deck on the newer 1782, and the Haban deck on the 1872 interchange? I'm curious because I think the dealer will drop the price on the diesel unit by possibly a grand, but realistically atleast $500.00 as they indicated today, plus take dad's 1641 in on trade with a fair trade price.

So this presents a quandary... he needs a mower now. I think we can get the 1872 of our choice with the 60" deck for an even amount of 1500.00, maybe slightly less. I also think the owner will throw in the 3pt for another 100.00 ontop of the negotiated final price. Dad would really like to own a diesel though... so if the dealer can have that unit finished in a few months.. and be willing to drop the price by 800-1000.00 (possibly by negotiating a deal on not fixing the rear PTO clutch.... is that even a necessary item? I've never seen a single attachment for one in person) what would you guys do?

I'm thinking 4000-5500.00 for two SGTs, two mower decks, 1 - 54" blade, two 3 pt's one setup with rear PTO (in need up clutch mechanism?) might not be a horrible investment. Dad could also trade his 1641 in on the deal to offset the price as well. I'm thinkin the dealer would give him upwards of 1000.00 on it because i'm sure they stepped into this 1782 for a sweetheart of a deal since it had issues when the owner traded it for a new yanmar cub.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this. I see some potential to recoup some cost because we'd end up with two SGT 3pts (one with pto, one without and the GT 3pt from the 1641) Dad could sell atleast one of these to go towards the cost of the tractors. He could also sell the 1641's front blade (lightly used) as well (actually it was the match to my 1811).

I could be wrong...

but the 3pt's would probably go around 300 or more on ebay right? In theory we could sell two of those, plus I can get $100.00 for the blade easy. The guy who bought my 1811 has been pestering me about it for months now.

So I did some math in my head.. which is scary lol.... even scarier this late at night...

1782 $3500-4000.00
Includes 54" deck, rear PTO/3pt, 54" front hydraulic blade.

1872 (of choice) $1500.00
Includes 50" or 60" deck of choice. 3pt possibly negotiated into the price, or thrown in for additional $100.00?

= 5600.00 Max, however I believe the cub dealer will drop price on the 1782 atleast 500.00 to 1000.00, but lets assume 500 and they fix the PTO clutch as they stated.

package now at 5100.00

They are interested in Dad's tractor, and I believe they will trade in his unit with 1000 off the 1782 ( you know the PO of the 1782 was taken since the tractor had mechanical issues)

package of both tractors now at 4100.00 since the cub dealer will probably negotiate a decent trade on the 1641.

Now the attachments that would be left over.....

sell the 3pt from the 1641, because it would not be included in the trade(-300?)
sell the 48" front blade from my 1811 barely used to the guy who bought my 1811 (easy -100.00)
sell one of the 3pt's from the SGT.. either the PTO unit or Regular unit (-300?)

total off of -700?

I know the guy who purchased my 1811 wants a 3pt, and blade so I am pretty confident I could sell those easily for a combined price of 400.00. (does that sound fair?) both are like new.

If everything was to sell above that'd bring the total down to....

$3400.00 for a 1782 and 1872, with 54" and 60" decks, atleast one 3pt hitch, and 54" hydraulic front blade. This price could actually end up higher or lower depending on the 1641 trading and pending the sell of all the above extra items... but it still sounds like a decent deal if everything was to play out as it has in my head.

okay now for a reality check... fill me in on your thoughts. It's late and i've had alot of coffee today so my gears are spinnin faster in my head than I can keep up with.

I'm just thinking that this could end up a great deal... plus Dad would end up with two tractors, and i'm currently looking to buy another Cub eventually.. AND since I help mow the acreage anyways... (our land is all joined, my wife and I live on the land between my grandparents and parents) I could potentially end up with another gas powered SGT in the end. Thus the reason i'm thinking I should help negotiate the power play on this deal lol. I don't think I could lose on my end lol. Besides, that 1872 would be a cheap investment to get me to help cut down on the mowing time lol.

anyways... I better stop writing novels on here..and start scheming plans with other peoples money lol.

Thanks again for the help and input.

Nick

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've never used the newer cubs. Diesels are nice to have. But if I had the money to spend that you're talking and 2 sweet clean 1872s to choose from I'd buy them both and have $2500 left over. Then I'd start looking for a FEL for one of those supers. Birds in the hand. Both use the same parts. Both are easy to fix with the safety stuff that makes sense and none of the silly stuff the newer ones come with. Power steering and very stable. Used implements are still around and the are all HD pieces of equipt made to last for years if cared for. But I'm Partial to my 1872. I like old iron. The motor is more than powerful enough for my needs, and It has a nice sound. I've picked up a cab, haban blade, 450 snowblower, a 50c deck all for very reasonable. They are old iron and as such will need something and upkeep.
Right now the diesel sounds like a promised bird in the bush that may or may not turn out to be what the DEALER wants you to think it is going to be. You can always resell one of the supers if it becomes avail. There is always someone here that would like to have one. Just my .02 You have to do what feels right for you. You're the one that will live with the decision.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
That diesel is a Deal!! It has a kubota diesel?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts