My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang.

I have been looking around for a bit, but still am confused.

I posted this post over in the JD forum also because I'm not looking to start a JD is better or vice versa conversation.

This is my story.
We recently purchased our dream property and now need a tractor.

The area is just over 2 acres, mainly flat, but with some small grades.
I will not be using it as a snowblower, but do hope to get some attachments one day, trailer, aerator bagger etc. Nothing big, and those are on the back burner since I haven't done any research on them

Now my question is.......
I am thinking about 3 tractors. The John Deere 115 or the 145, and Simplicity Regent 22/45.

The engines are the same in the 145 / Regent B&S V-Twin. (is this a good engine)?

The price difference is minimal between the 145 and the Regent. The 115 is a few hundred less.

Consumer reports recommends the 115, but doesn't compare all tractors

I have asked for demo cuts on both, but have gotten no where

I do like the idea of the free floating mower, but since I haven't see either of them cut in person I really have no idea.

Any idea which I should go for?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
309 Posts
With the tasks you have and 2 acres or more it sounds like you need to upgrade to the Simplicity Broadmower. I have a Snapper L200 (same as the regent) in the shop with a stuck valve in the engine. Right now I wish I would have spent extra for the Broadmower. Better engine,better trans,nicer machine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a Snapper L200 (same as the regent)
I believe the Snappers doesn't have full width rollers and isn't truly a full floating deck, though I'm not entirely sure about the latter. Other than striping the lawn though, no real differences.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi gang.

I have been looking around for a bit, but still am confused.

I posted this post over in the JD forum also because I'm not looking to start a JD is better or vice versa conversation.

This is my story.
We recently purchased our dream property and now need a tractor.

The area is just over 2 acres, mainly flat, but with some small grades.
I will not be using it as a snowblower, but do hope to get some attachments one day, trailer, aerator bagger etc. Nothing big, and those are on the back burner since I haven't done any research on them

Now my question is.......
I am thinking about 3 tractors. The John Deere 115 or the 145, and Simplicity Regent 22/45.

The engines are the same in the 145 / Regent B&S V-Twin. (is this a good engine)?

The price difference is minimal between the 145 and the Regent. The 115 is a few hundred less.

Consumer reports recommends the 115, but doesn't compare all tractors

I have asked for demo cuts on both, but have gotten no where

I do like the idea of the free floating mower, but since I haven't see either of them cut in person I really have no idea.

Any idea which I should go for?

Thanks in advance

My BIL recently bought a JD LA125...a nice looking mower. Other than that there's really no comparison in cut and lawn appearance. The Simplicity wins hands down. As for reliability...well, Simplicity isn't exactly what it used to be now, but I believe it's still a better made unit then the LA series and consequently should provide better service long term...though anything and everything can and will eventually need repair.

As for the dealer not offering a demo, that seems strange coming from a Simplicity dealer...I wouldn't expect them to make an offer of you cutting your entire property to be sure, but a couple of passes on it should do the job...most dealers I'm aware of usually have no problem with this.

Bottom line...I'd choose the Regent everytime without hesitation...your property will look awesome and it can easily handle the minimal chores you look to throw at it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello...I have another thread on this site and have been looking for the pasgt week or so for a lawn tractor. My need is simple. Just to mow a 1/4 acre or a bit larger area. Mostly flat surface. I will not use the tractor for anything else. No snow blowing, no hooking up anything.

I was also looking at the Simplicity Regent 18/38 with a retail of $2299. The 20/38 lists for $2600, but might be overkill for me and is a bit higher than I want to pay.

Anyone know how much a dealer can realistically take off the retail price. Too bad Sears did not have better stuff because they mark down their tractors about $500 to $700 all the time. Would be nice to have the $2200 Simplicity knocked down that much.

I've looked at all the JD LA models the Snapper LT-125 and 200 series and Snapper rear engine 17.5/33 riding mower.

Just trying to figure how much I should ask the dealer to take off the retail and if I am better off for my needs with a lower hp/smaller deck size Simplicity Regent with better deck, or a bigger hp/larger deck JD or Snapper LT series for the same price.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
The free floating deck provides the finest cut. My Conquest 50" performs excellent. I believe the decks acroos all models depending on width do not change. By this I mean that the same 44", 50" etc. on a Regent can be on a Broadmoore, Conquest or even Prestige. Says to me they don't cheapen the deck/cut through Simplicity model levels.
I think it is a better mower over the comparable JD models. Not to mention the hood is all metal if that is of concern too.

MU

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey.. great stuff.. New posts. I was getting worried that their was no one on the simplicity forums

I have located a 2008 simplicity regent 22/40 that is new, but not in a box.

It is about $500 less that what a 2009 is costing.

The dealer also told me that their were no differences between the 2009 and 2008 models.

Is this true? Full warranty will still apply

Look forward to your answers.

Cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'll just give you my opinion on this as a previous JD owner.

Early this spring I was in the market for a new tractor and soon had things narrowed down between a Simplicity (Conquest/Prestige) and JD (300 and 500) tractors.

Primary function for me was to cut grass, but also be able to handle some bigger tasks. But the emphasis being on the best cut and machine for keeping the grass in check.

I was fortunate in that I was able to do some test mowing at two JD dealers and my Simplicity dealer. All I can say is there is no comparison in mower decks. JD makes a good tractor in the models I was looking at, but did not have near the cut and finish that the Simplicity did from a mowing perspective.

So after all my research I went with the Simplicity Prestige and all I can say is WOW. You will have a hard time finding anyone saying anything bad about a simplicity the quality cut and mowers they make.

In the models you are looking at you are getting a lot more tractor in the Simplicity vs. the JD.

As for buying an 08 vs. a 09, Simplicity is famous for making very little changes between model years. Saving the money and getting the 08 is a great way to save some coin.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I own an older model Bolens, and have owned a few Cub Cadet garden tractors. I know someone that recently bought a Simplicity and the cut quality of their yard is 1000 times better than with their previous machine (which was a well used Lowes model JD) I believe the purchased a prestige model. I myself have been looking at the Legacy XL and after talking to the local dealer I don't think I could find a better cutting machine. Plus as far as I could tell and was told the Simplicitys are made in the US with most of the parts coming from the US... I don't know if this is completely true.. but I believe it to be. That alone makes me more interested and willing to pay a slightly higher price. Keeping jobs here makes more sense than supporting another country (but I understand the money aspect). That is my reason for waiting on a nice used Legacy XL to turn up in the next year or so.

Just my .02

Nick

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great stuff..

I feel much better about the decision I think I am going to make.

There are not to many simplicity dealers where I live (Canada, Ontario, Barrie).

I have looked around for some older models but have been unable to find anything. Plus I'm not mechanically inclined at all :(

Cheers

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey.. great stuff.. New posts. I was getting worried that their was no one on the simplicity forums

I have located a 2008 simplicity regent 22/40 that is new, but not in a box.

It is about $500 less that what a 2009 is costing.

The dealer also told me that their were no differences between the 2009 and 2008 models.

Is this true? Full warranty will still apply

Look forward to your answers.

Cheers
Last fall i got an 07 L200 Snapper from my dealer that was a leftover at a nice discount. The problem is he leaves everything outside next to the driveway which is gravel. dusty dirty. They had gas in the tank over a year old. Was fine at first but then started running on one cylinder after five hours. Sent it back three weeks ago. Had a stuck valve.It's getting a new head installed. Point is check out the condition of the leftovers before buying. I wish I would have pasted on this one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point. I know it has a full warranty, but how could you have foreseen all that? I know he keeps them inside, and since he wouldn't let me go on a demo ride I assume that would be the same with all prospective buyers.

I will have to inspect it more now that it is possibly the one. I hope this works out b/c this is the only dealer nearby that has tractors from simplicity in stock. Most say that they won't be bringing them in either because of costs!

Isn't that a bit weird considering this is lawn mowing time?

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same choice issue you did last month. I was paying cash. and was limited to $2100 or less. As a former owner of a 2004 Regent, I was spoiled by the great cut, but couldn't spend the money for a larger deck and V-Twin like I needed.

I found the AC130 by Allis Chalmers/ Snapper/Simplicity was the same as a Regent, but with a Snapper deck. It has a decent cut and costed $1000 less than the same equipted Regent.

For $1799 it was a good buy, although in wet grass, it doesn't clear grass from the deck as good as the simplicity did. Also was looking at the JD 145, but discovered the 100 series is made for JD by MTD (EEEWWW)

Also, look around in the back rooms of dealers. My local Simplicity still has a 2005 Regent new in the back that they had forgotten about.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I had the same choice issue you did last month. I was paying cash. and was limited to $2100 or less. As a former owner of a 2004 Regent, I was spoiled by the great cut, but couldn't spend the money for a larger deck and V-Twin like I needed.

I found the AC130 by Allis Chalmers/ Snapper/Simplicity was the same as a Regent, but with a Snapper deck. It has a decent cut and costed $1000 less than the same equipted Regent.

For $1799 it was a good buy, although in wet grass, it doesn't clear grass from the deck as good as the simplicity did. Also was looking at the JD 145, but discovered the 100 series is made for JD by MTD (EEEWWW)

Also, look around in the back rooms of dealers. My local Simplicity still has a 2005 Regent new in the back that they had forgotten about.
I agree about the LA not being a true Deere although maybe not a bad mower for it's intended use. So really comparing the two would be like saying "should I get a Yard Man or a Simplicity". Hmm tough choice. You will find both supporters and haters of the L series over in the JD forum. Seems like even some dealers look at the L series as the red headed step child.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whereabouts in Wisconsin is that? If the price was right, I might be interested in that 2005.

·
Registered
547 Posts
:beatdeadh

MTD does not make JD....JD is not made by MTD....JD makes JD.....JD makes JD....JD makes JD......

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey..

Good news..

The wifey has allowed me to get a simplicity.

It's a little one, but all I think I need. I'm going for a new..08 regent 22/44. Hopefully the dealer is open tomorrow and I can go get it.

Unfortunately, we don't move into our new place for about 6 weeks so I will have to just dream about it lol. The dealer will be keeping nice and warm lol.

Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts