My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing in hot weather (90 degrees) yesterday and noticed about 2 hours into mowing, my power steering was sticking and my indy lift was
actually raising up the mower deck. I let the tractor sit for a couple hours
and checked the cooler fan(tranny was very hot) and it seemed to be working
normal with no foreign objects around it. I then changed the oil and filter,
removed the mower deck, sharpened the blades, greased the deck and tractor. I noticed the gear oil in front was low so I got it today and put a
little in. Mowed a couple of hours and the steering did fine. Still at times,
the indy lift would raise the deck. The tranny is very hot as I could only
quick touch the rear pto. Is this normal? Maybe the tranny is always this
hot and I just paid no attention. :thanku:

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
How's your hydrualic fluid level? It should read about 1/3 to 2/3 full (I think) in the sight glass after it has cooled down.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MowHoward2210,
My hydralic level last week was showing 1/4 full from the glass bubble reading
so I added more fluid and got it to 7/8 full. Just looked at the reading and
it is completely full. Maybe too much hydralic fluid?

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
After a couple of hours mowing my transmission is definitiely too hot to touch for more than an instant. So I think that at least is normal.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I'm at half a bubble:drunkie: on the sight glass. After about an hour the Trans case is very hot and I can feel the heat being blown through openings in the fender deck. I don't have the indy lift and have not had the deck raise by itself. No problem with the steering. Are you running the engine at the 540 mark when mowing? slkpk

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
MowHoward2210,
My hydralic level last week was showing 1/4 full from the glass bubble reading
so I added more fluid and got it to 7/8 full. Just looked at the reading and
it is completely full. Maybe too much hydralic fluid?
You over filled it...:(

Checking Transmission Oil Level

1. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the SAFETY section.) Allow machine to cool down for at least one hour.

2. Check oil level in sight glass (A) at rear of transaxle case. Oil level should be at 1/2-3/4 of sight glass.

Make sure the machine is on level ground...;)

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Help prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering the transmission. Clean area around fill cap before removing.

Do not overfill transmission. Oil expands during operation and could overflow.

3. If oil level is low:

• Remove filler cap (B).

• Add recommended oil through fill opening until oil level is correct.

4. Install and tighten filler cap.

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU16738_L8/Output/Index.html?tM=HO

·
Registered
643 Posts
BLIND REF
I run mine at 7/8 and never had an issue with my indy lift or oil overflow. Keep in mind that if your oil is at 130-150 degrees, that would be considered 'normal' and definitely too hot to touch for any length of time. I think what you are seeing is normal as far as oil temp/case temp is concerned. But, to troubleshoot the lift and PS issue, you might pull some out and see if it helps.

Good luck,

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. I will drain some of the fluid. I really just have never checked to see how hot the tranny gets. Feel much better now. My IQ level has gone up 20%!:sidelaugh

·
Good at breaking stuff!
792 Posts
When mine starts to get warm like that I park it and run at 1,500 rpms for about 5-10 mins to cool off. I normally run about 30 mins then let it "rest". In this Texas heat after about 30 mins I too need to cool off and get a glass of iced water.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine gets too hot to touch and I always hose off the transmission front, top, and rear after it has cooled down to keep debris from interfering with the measly, cheap, poorly designed fan cooled system for the transmission!!! I don't know how JD expected to keep the transmission housing cool with a fan that pulls the radiator fan's hot output over the transmission case. Great for winter. Stupid for summer. :hide:

·
Registered
56 Posts
don't think over filling is the case in your situation. if it was that bad it would come out the over flow when it heated up. had that happen to me when i first go my backhoe installed.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again thanks for all the info! I have my bubble at 7/8. Really this one is one me. Should have been greasing tractor and deck every 10 hours and I have not done it. I think the last greasing was at 78 hours.:hide: Not greasing it regularly has a ripple effect I guess. Won't make that mistake again! I did not mention this but when I mowed yesterday, it was around 9PM. The extra lights I added have been great. I can see everything. Don't know what is problem with indy lift just have to keep checking it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hope you can get this figured out. Doesnt sound like you are runnig too hot really?? but im not a hydraulic fluid expert. Was it much cooler out when you mowed at 9pm and it still repeated the problem? Keep us updated.
Thad

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
hot hydraulic fluid has lower viscosity... it's quite possible that your lift valve has a very slight blow-by when it warms up (not unusual). Combine it with "runny" fluid and "up you go". It's either that, or the valve bias is not centered.

Power steering could be similar. Bias could be off.

You're running the thicker fluid right?... not the "low viscosity" Hy-Gard that's meant for colder climates... right?

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wally2q, Im running Hy-Gard TY6354 on the recommendation by my dealer. I just recently did the 100 hour service and noticed that I was VERY low on front axle oil. After I did the service and mowed my last 2 acres at night, never had another issue with the power steering. Just the indy lift. The finish lawn suffered as you can easily see the high and low places.
Thad, I will keep you guys updated. I am disconnecting the indy lift and will try again this weekend and see if everything is OK. I did notice that my deck height knob is off centered dont know if that is problem or not. I just dont have an answer for the indy lift.:banghead3

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Wally2q, Im running Hy-Gard TY6354 on the recommendation by my dealer. I just recently did the 100 hour service and noticed that I was VERY low on front axle oil. After I did the service and mowed my last 2 acres at night, never had another issue with the power steering. Just the indy lift. The finish lawn suffered as you can easily see the high and low places.
Thad, I will keep you guys updated. I am disconnecting the indy lift and will try again this weekend and see if everything is OK. I did notice that my deck height knob is off centered dont know if that is problem or not. I just dont have an answer for the indy lift.:banghead3
http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU14333_I8/Output/Index.html?tM=FR

Scan down to Troubleshooting to deal with mower issues...should stop your scalping...;)

Mowers With Independent Lift Kits

1. Review Using Hydraulic Dual SCV and Using Dual SCV Lock Lever instructions in your tractor operator’s manual.

2. Follow the instructions in your tractor operator’s manual to lock out the dual SCV regen function.

3. Pull the dual SCV lever to the right to lower the mower, or push the lever to the left to raise the mower.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got some soapy water and cleaned around all the hydro connections and disconnected and reconnected the indy deck port. Mowed for 2 hours straight with no issues. I know cdhc2001 had a simular problem with his FEL. Just glad everything is working out now!:00000057:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got some soapy water and cleaned around all the hydro connections and disconnected and reconnected the indy deck port. Mowed for 2 hours straight with no issues. I know cdhc2001 had a simular problem with his FEL. Just glad everything is working out now!:00000057:

Good to hear you got it fixed! And it was simple just a bit of cleaning.

Thad

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed! And it was simple just a bit of cleaning.

Thad
BLIND REF

:ditto: Glad to hear you are up and mowing with no more problems. I don't mow with my JD2305 so I really haven't experienced any of the mowing issues you guys talk about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts