My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As you know, I purchased a new Regent this summer and I posted a review shortly thereafter. Anyway, the past several weeks I have had to jump start the tractor every week to get it to start. I have a battery meter on my charger that shows battery is 95% charged.:dunno: Now, my battery had a manufacture date of 2011 because my tractor was NOS (new old stock), not sure if that matters. I will probably take it to the dealer at the end of the mowing season, but I am frustrated that this is happening. I'm at a loss for why this is happening, especially since the charger is showing 95% charged?

Anyone have any ideas on this??? :thanku:

Gary

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
2 year ole garden tractor battery....probably bad. Take it to Auto Zone or NAPA and have it load tested and then buy a new one or take to the dealer and have it tested and have them give you a new one.:fing32::fing32:

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 year ole garden tractor battery....probably bad. Take it to Auto Zone or NAPA and have it load tested and then buy a new one or take to the dealer and have it tested and have them give you a new one.:fing32::fing32:
I was kind of thinking along those lines. It may be 95% charged, but the capacity is probably just not there (not enough amps). Never thought about running it down to autozone. :duh: Good call! :fing32:

I'll do this tomorrow and report back....

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So...I went down to the auto parts store to have them test my battery. Sure enough, it's pulling just 146CCA of the 230CCA rating. The report came back and recommended that the battery be replaced due to damaged cells.

Interestingly enough, when I explained my story, the guy there said he sees this all the time. Dealers do not properly maintain the batteries of their inventory and the customer gets stuck with a poor performing battery. He said he sees it on everything from new cars, mowers, snow blowers, etc.

I'm calling my dealer Tuesday to bring this up to him and see what he will do to resolve the issue. Especially since the warranty starts from date of purchase, not manufacture. Not sure how this applies to batteries though. I will check my warranty documentation. I've only had the Regent for a few months.

Not happy about this.....:reallymad

Gary

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
A lot of times batteries are excluded from warranty. But for the few dollars the battery costs the dealer, I would hope he'd spring for a new one for good will. Batteries just sitting around eventually go dead, and if they sit in a discharged state for too long, they are useless. That is what I suspect happened to yours. Two years seems to be about a normal life span, but I got lucky with my Conquest battery - it lasted 5 years, then suddenly died. Got a replacement at NAPA, and it's working fine.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is hoping you battery warranty on a tractor is better than the tire warranty on new autos.
I just checked my warranty card in my owner's manual. Batteries carry a one year warranty from the date of purchase.:thThumbsU I'm off to the dealer to get this resolved.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from the dealer. He gave me a new battery. No questions asked. I have not installed it yet, but I have no reason to believe that this will not correct my issue. BTW - I asked him if Simplicity was going to discontinue the Legacy next year as rumor had suggested. He said he didn't know as his rep had not been in yet. He did say he wouldn't be surprised if they did. He said they sold strong when they first came out but have not done well for the past few years or so.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok....I am very mad!!!:reallymad:reallymad:reallymad:reallymad

I put the new battery in and........NOTHING! I have headlights, but no starter???? Tried jumping it....no luck. At least with the old battery I could jump the darn thing! Connections are all tight, not corrosion....new tractor, new battery. Checked fuses, all fine. I dunno. I don't get it.:dunno:

Any ideas?

Gary

·
Administrator
13,314 Posts
"Tried jumping it", the battery or just jumping a cable to the starter lug?

Put a jumper cable from a good battery right to the starter lug and see if it turns over, if not you may have a bad starter solenoid.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
"Tried jumping it", the battery or just jumping a cable to the starter lug?

Put a jumper cable from a good battery right to the starter lug and see if it turns over, if not you may have a bad starter solenoid.
Both. Just tried going directly to the starter solenoid and the starter turned over. Now what? Is my ignition bad? The replacement battery is 300CCA vs 230CCA, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue. There is not a whole lot of things it could be.:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant figure it out guys. I've tried everything. It's going into the dealer tomorrow. When I picked up the new battery today my dealer said he wasn't terribly busy so hopefully I can get quick turn around. I'll report back after the repair is made.

GW

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Is the brake on? PTO off? Sounds like a safety switch isn't satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the brake on? PTO off? Sounds like a safety switch isn't satisfied.
That's what I think. It's at the dealer. They are looking it over. They got right on it and I hung around for 20 minutes to see if they could resolve it quickly. After 20 minutes, they weren't having any luck either. Tech thought maybe an ignition issue.

We shall see.....

Gw

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I picked up the Regent today. Turns out that in the process of swapping in the new battery, a small ground wire that I hadn't noticed had fallen behind the dash and steering column and as a result, I did not connect it when installing the new battery.:eek:

The wire is necessary to allow the "safety" features to function properly. That would explain why I had headlights, but no ignition. FWIW, even the tech acknowledged he had difficulty finding the wire. I'm just glad it was nothing major.:fing32:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
:thThumbsU

1 - 16 of 16 Posts