My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off I have little mechanical skills and have been learning the past year so keep it simple. I was given a 4230 that has been sitting in a field for 18 years (supposedly running when parked). I got it home and changed the fuel filter and checked and added appropriate fluids. It immediately turned over but wouldn’t crank. The tractor will crank and run when you spray starting fluid and continuously spray it. So my thought is the engine isn’t getting fuel since it will run on starting fluid. I cracked the fuel line from the tank to pump and got fuel there. I then cracked the line from the fuel filter to the injection pump and had fuel. How can I check to see if the pump is bad? Or can anybody help me with this?

·
2,103 Posts
Did you also drain the fuel and replace with fresh? Also, have a good look inside of the fuel tank and make sure there's nothing growing in there.
That's where I'd start.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
259 Posts
Did you bleed the system after changing the fuel filter? Also, be careful with that starting fluid, it can cause a lot of damage to a diesel if used improperly.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Welcome to MTF
I would never continually spray starting fluid into air intake to keep engine running. That method can break top piston rings/lands which will require engine overhaul. In reference to non starting engine more than likely metering valve in pump is stuck & inj pump will require disassembly. Best alternative is to get fuel conditioner into IP & hope metering valve frees up.

·
Parts collector
3,178 Posts
Dude that's awesome. Man a tractor of that quality for free! (y)

As suggested don't spray starter fluid in there continuously. Drain the tank, clean it with acetone, and fill it with fresh fuel. You didn't say but I am assuming it is a diesel not the gas engine. It should have a lift pump that pulls the fuel from the tank to the injector pump. Check for fuel after the lift pump. After all that is done, crack the lines at the injectors and turn the engine over to bleed out the fuel lines until you see fuel squirting out closing/tightening them one at a time. If you don't get fuel then I would say the injector pump is not working. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts