My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here from the Lincoln, Nebraska area. I am a new acreage owner and need some input on what kind of garden tractor or compact tractor would be good for me to take care of my property.

I have about 3/4 of an acre of tall fescue sod around my house that I have been mowing with a really basic craftsman riding mower. The area has some pretty steep hills that my current mower struggles with. I also have a push mower that I occasionally use on it, but that is a lot of work. So I need something to mow this with.

I also have about another acre beyond the sod that is mostly just weeds (it was disturbed during construction of the house) that I mow down frequently as well. This land is really rough and hilly, it's really hard on the riding mower I have now. At some point I need to grade this and seed it, I may hire somebody to do this or try it myself if I have a capable machine.

I have a lot of volunteer red cedars that I have been trying to cull out. I rented a bobcat with a brushsaw for a day and took a lot of them down, but I still have more to clear. I also need something that will move them once they are down.

I have about a quarter mile white rock lane that I will need to maintain. I will also need to plow it in the winter.

Secondarily to all this, my father-in-law owns the acreage development and I would like to be able to help him out by mowing the ditches/fields, and grading/plowing the roads.

This seems like a lot to ask of a garden tractor, so I am wondering if a CUT is the way to go.

My budget is limited, so I will be looking for something used. I can probably spend between 5K and 6K.

I have been perusing craigslist, tractorhouse, ebay for some time but haven't really settled on anything specific. Most of the stuff I find that I think might work is typically out of my price range (like a Kubota BX series CUT).

Some of the specific things I am looking for help with...

SonnyT mentioned getting something with an FEL (thanks!) in the garden tractor forum, what other attachments should I make a priority? What kind of mowing system would be best...mmm, pull behind, or maybe I need both?

My main concern is getting something that will handle the hills and uneven terrain, so if there are some CUT's or CUT attachments that work better for that then I would be interested to hear opinions on that.

Lastly, would the FEL be able to handle moving the downed cedars? I am hoping that it will and that I won't need to rent a grapple to take care of those.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give me!!

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Around here you can get a 10 to 15 year old 25hp Kubota with a front end loader and a brush hog for around the $5000 to $6000 price range. You might want to consider adding a 6 or 7 foot rear blade for the grading work. They can be had used for $300 to $800 depending on what shape they're in.

Depending on the size of the trees, or how small you're willing to cut them up before you move them, any tractor, even a garden tractor, can remove the trees once they're down. If you get a CUT with a 3 point hitch, there are a number of boom arm hoists available for not much money that would allow you to drag some fairly sizable trees around the property. A front end loader will move the trees as well, but if they're too large to fit in the bucket, you'll be dragging them in reverse. That's why I mentioned the 3 point boom. Put a chain or strap around one end of the tree and lift it with the boom and then drive away in forward.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Sean pretty well summed it up.

In addition to his Kubota recommendation, there are plenty of John Deere 755/855/955 series out there which can be had with a FEL and mower in the $5,000-$9,000 range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been scouting the JD 755/855/955 models but haven't found anything in my area under the 10K mark. I have also been looking at Kubota's but haven't found any in the price range with both a loader and a mower that have been 4WD or MFWD. I am guessing that I will want to stay away from 2WD tractors based on the hilly and rough terrain I have, correct? I will also probably want to find something with turf tires if I want to be able to mow my sod, is that a correct assumption?

Maybe I have been too focused on finding something that already has the attachments I need....is it hard to find FEL's and mowers for sale that will work on some of these older JD's and Kubota's?

One other thing I should have mentioned, there is one dealer here locally and they are JD. The Kubota dealer isn't too far away, about 30 miles down the road, but I assume it may be a better idea to stick with JD since they are so close.

Sean, thanks for the insight on moving the trees. We used my FIL's 4WD Gator with a heavy chain to drag a lot of them off already. I have some bigger ones I was hoping to move without additional cutting though that the Gator can't handle.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Maybe it's just your part of the country. Here in PA I see at least 2 or 3 older Kubota's with loaders and brush hogs every week for about $5000 to $6000.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Welcome to MTF.

Here in NE (I'm from Elkhorn) it is tough to find at Kubota like that for under $6K. JD 755/855's go for more than that too. Hydro and 4wd make them woth more.

Here might be an option: http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/1875220501.html

Hydro tranny or 4wd might have to be out if you want to get something under that price.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
You might keep your eyes out for Massey Ferguson. Well build and don't demand to high $ typically.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Welcome to MTF.

Here in NE (I'm from Elkhorn) it is tough to find at Kubota like that for under $6K. JD 755/855's go for more than that too. Hydro and 4wd make them woth more.

Here might be an option: http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/1875220501.html

Hydro tranny or 4wd might have to be out if you want to get something under that price.
Oddly enough, I just emailed for more information on that craigslist posting this morning. I'll report back what I hear, but I am 95% sure that is another one of those ebay buyer protection scams that have been so prevalent lately.

I agree with you....it's hard to find a JD or Kubota in that price range around here, especially one that has a loader and a mower. I found an 86 Kubota in Omaha for 5K at the bobcat dealer but by the time I got ahold of someone it was gone. Maybe I should just go down to the JD dealership and talk to them about what I need so they can start scouting for me as well.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
You were right. Already removed from CL.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WoW. You just described my situation. I have a lawn tractor but my gravel drive way needs help. Wife wanted to pave it. I thought for the same money I could have a tractor which would be better investment.

I have looked craigs list for tractors as well. I have found some good Fords for a reasonable price but I am worried about finding replacement parts. Lots of scams as well so be careful.

A good Kubota or John Deere will cost 8-10 grand but without financing.

$6000 will get you a basic used tractor but you might have to still find the implements you need. This will cost more but you can invest gradually.

Buying new is great because you can finance for many months without interest with many dealers. Also do not have to worry about the tractor breaking down. With that said there are many choices. I have compared kubota to John Deere. Generally the base tractors I compared were similar in money but the kubota's implements were much more expensive. Not sure why.

(My impression of New Holland and Cadet were not so good, I could be wrong)

The more I look at Massey Ferguson the more I like them better than the Kubota and Deere. They have longer finance with no finance charge. They are not afraid of comparing there machines to the competition. This may be stupid but I really like the fact they develop more h.p. at lower RPM's. To me that means more torque but I could be wrong. On line they do not have prices so I can not compare but all things equal they might be better machines. Go on line and watch the videos in which they compare themselves to other brands. Good sales technique. I will eventually go to the dealer and ask a lot of question.

I am still undecided between new and used. Lots to consider. I have some time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Strobe, I'm in Murdock, NE. Halfway between Omaha and Lincoln (SAC Museum exit) and I just bought a 5 acre property with all types of hills, flats, woods and pasture. A pretty good mix of terrain. I also have a 1/4 gravel drive to deal with and a bunch of fallen timber to clear.

With a lot of help from this forum I ended up buying a Massey gc2400 from Johnson farm equipment in Fremont. I have been running it hard for the past two weeks trying to get the property cleaned up and it has really been awesome. . The 72/0 interest is a nice bonus as well. There is a Deere dealer nearby but they were a little too proud of themselves and their equipment, kinda turned me Red if you know what I mean. Besides a Red tractor just seems like the thing to have in Huskerland.

You are welcome to stop by and take it for a run if you are in the neighborhood just let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strobe, I'm in Murdock, NE. Halfway between Omaha and Lincoln (SAC Museum exit) and I just bought a 5 acre property with all types of hills, flats, woods and pasture. A pretty good mix of terrain. I also have a 1/4 gravel drive to deal with and a bunch of fallen timber to clear.

With a lot of help from this forum I ended up buying a Massey gc2400 from Johnson farm equipment in Fremont. I have been running it hard for the past two weeks trying to get the property cleaned up and it has really been awesome. . The 72/0 interest is a nice bonus as well. There is a Deere dealer nearby but they were a little too proud of themselves and their equipment, kinda turned me Red if you know what I mean. Besides a Red tractor just seems like the thing to have in Huskerland.

You are welcome to stop by and take it for a run if you are in the neighborhood just let me know.
Thanks Gio. Sounds like the MF (gotta love the initials!) may be something to consider. I am on the edge of Crete so Fremont is a bit of a hike, but if the dealership is good it might be well worth it. I know very little about the JD dealership here locally besides that they don't respond to email inquiries.

I think I will peruse the MF website tonight and take a look at the gc2400. What implements/attachments did you get if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Strobe, The Dealer has been great so far. They are willing to travel for service drop off/pick up etc and my sales guy (Jim Lichenberg) has been a big help. He is a Farmer/retired Lawman and he is no BS, no hard sell. His number is 402-721-5305 tell him Jason from Murdock sent you.

I bought an FEL, Backblade and 60inch mid mount mower with the tractor then I just purchased a rough cut mower. I plan on picking up a carry all and a Rake shortly. I would also like to get some type of quick hitch.

It was a big investment but I couldn't imagine dealing with this property without it. Before I took the plunge I was thinking of all sorts of alternatives (Mower, 4-wheeler, old pickup, etc) but I am glad i went with the MF. with a little down you can be under $200 month and you would easily spend that dealing with snow removal, tree removal, Mowing, Clearing, etc.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I vote MF 1532 - but I sway that way b/c I have one.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Many people on this forum have an MF 2400. I have not heard anything bad about it. It I had more property - that is what I would have. Gio - Harbor freight has a good quick hitch for a great price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I called the MF dealer. 2400 was 10,700 and the 1529 was 14,800 and the 1523 was 13,700.

My impression is these tractors are easier to service than Kubota and cheaper on parts than Deere.

I am still going to go and drive the Deere and Kubota before deciding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called the MF dealer. 2400 was 10,700 and the 1529 was 14,800 and the 1523 was 13,700.

My impression is these tractors are easier to service than Kubota and cheaper on parts than Deere.

I am still going to go and drive the Deere and Kubota before deciding.
Thanks for the info Adirondack. Was the price on the 2400 without the loader and belly mower?

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the info Adirondack. Was the price on the 2400 without the loader and belly mower?
Yes, I think the price was tractor only.

I just went to the Deere and Kubota. Comparing the 2305? and the kubota 2360 which I think were comparable. I liked the Kubota a little better. It seemed the Kubota was more durable and better built. Have not seen the MF though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts