My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I just picked up a 50" belly blade for my Raider yesterday and when I went to hook it up I noticed that the rear end on the tractor seems to be leaking. :duh: The left hand side rear wheel,(as you sit on the tractor) seems to have "creeped" out a 1/8" from the tranny and oil slowly seeps though there. It isn't leaking a lot and the level of the fluid is okay. Should I be worried??

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Whew - I thought we were going to need a Proctologist when I first read the title! :fing20:

·
16,490 Posts
Sounds like an axle grease seal--maybe? Where the axle stub comes out of the rear houseing?/

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like an axle grease seal--maybe? Where the axle stub comes out of the rear houseing?/
Are they hard to replace?? And my Toro dealer will have these?

(I KNEW folks would have fun with THAT title!):biglaugh:

·
16,490 Posts
Gerry--if that is in fact what the problem is-Check and make sure first---Clean off good around the tranny surface and the axle--and then check again in a few hours...it'll have seeped some...

--No and Yes!!
1. Not hard to do--just some simple things make it go quicker..

2. TORO has the seals--get two/ do both sides...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it leaks unless it's moving, it doesn't seem to seep when still. I will clean it off real good and try to post some pics.

Thanks,

·
16,490 Posts
Good deal!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WELLLL........that "depends!"

if the tractors rear end needs major work I just might!:sidelaugh

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, I've got to go wipe my...........tractors butt. If I see anything major I'll post pics. Thanks!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Don't go digging with one ply!

Gerry - the axle seals are a common thing to replace. A Toro dealer will have one for about 4 bucks. The hardest part is digging or picking out the old seal. Craftsman has a good seal puller.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't go digging with one ply!

Gerry - the axle seals are a common thing to replace. A Toro dealer will have one for about 4 bucks. The hardest part is digging or picking out the old seal. Craftsman has a good seal puller.
Thanks Micah, the seal is the problem, but it's a very slow leak. I'm considering just keeping an eye on it, is that a bad thing? And how do you get the axle out? Or do you?

·
16,490 Posts
I'll answer what I know and has happened to several of mine----and I know of one other member here--CHDinCt. on his 520--but the same set-up....

Here's his thread--and his results!!!

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=73180

yours is a hydro--right?

Not hard to do at all --just a clean dry level spot--gargae or shed , preferabley...get your stuff together before you start....get two seals, and two new key ways--and do both sides at same time--they have the same amount of wear--or if not--just get the parts--do the one side--then save the parts for when the other side starts weeping....

Need a decent 'hook-type' seal puller--Sears has a couple decent ones.
And some emery cloth( fine) , some grease or anti-seize, and some some silicone sealer. A piece of pvc or pipe with ID of more than 1-1/8", but not much larger, helps tremendously on the re-install......

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't believe mine is a hydro Glenn, it's a 72 raider14, 6 speed. Three in hi and three in low, plus two reverse.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts