My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray, model: 38618x92b
got the tubes back in the tires (cuz what's more white trash than a riding mower sitting on a block without tires??)

so i got it put back together, got on, started it up, pushed in the clutch, put it in gear, ready for the immense amounts of torque from that 4th gear, aaaaaaannnddd, nothing!!!!

so i shut it down, guessing the drive belt popped off again. nope, still there.

then, i started it back up, put it on idle and put it into 1st gear (don't yell at me, it was pointed to the middle of the yard) flipped up the seat, and the wheel is turning, so i'm sure it's not that.

i think the trans could be the issue.....when i parked it last and put it in N, it made a loud shuddering sound, but it did that before so i wasn't too worried....

so i have to figure out what trans this is, and what's going on with it.....any ideas dudes???

so.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
maybe your belt isnt tight and is slipping? if so, it would be a clutch issue

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Did you have the wheels off. Sounds like you forgot to put the axle key back in?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i figure it's tight enough, cuz the belt was spinning the wheel on top of the trans.

also when it's off, and i put it in any gear, it pushes freely. seems like it had to be in N to push it normally....

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Did you have the wheels off. Sounds like you forgot to put the axle key back in?
If you don't have the keys that go on to the axle shaft installed the axle will just spin inside the wheel and you will go nowhere although everything is operating as it should [ie belts, pulleys, linkages etc.]. You mention putting on tubes, were the wheels removed? That is normally when the keys are lost/misplaced.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
:ditto:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
oh boy i wish it was that easy. they're both in there....

edit: you know what? i think when i put the right side wheel on, the key slipped out. i was just pushing the mower and that side of the axle wasn't turning, but the left side one is. so when i get done with my smoked brats, i'll go try to fix it!!!

(yes i know, us kids..... :fing20: )

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I checked my "archives" and I do not show a 38618, so more than likely the tractor was built after 1989 [where my records stop]. That particular body style was manufactured between 1989 and roughly 1993. I can't give you any more info outside of it's a 4 speed Peerless. I'm afraid it sounds like internal damage if the keys are installed and the drive belt is spinning the trans pulley.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help guys. turned out the key sid out from behind the wheel when i slid it on (i thought it went on wayyy to easy)

so i couldn't find the key, it's in the grass somewhere. So i made one. i took a bolt, and a grinder and squared it off. it works well, and i mowed the front yard...

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Cool. Yeah, they tend to get shoved out when sliding on the wheel. In case your grinded bolt does not hold up, which it should, any decent hardware store will carry a good selection of key stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts