My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i just purchased a simplicity Broodmoor. it's a 2003 with 336 hrs, 16HP Briggs twin cylinder. The tractor is in great shape very clean. When i started it at the previous owners it ran great. I ran it for about 20 minutes. No smoking. i get it home. Started it, after 5 minutes it's blowing smoke out the exhaust, I think a lot of smoke. The motor runs and sounds great, smooth idle, no skipping. When I engage the PTO the smoke disappears. When i cut grass the tractor appears to run great. Love the tractor!! Why the smoking motor? the oil was recently changed, looks very clean. Sorry if repetitive I checked the achieves, but couldn't find any answers.

thanks
Bill

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
Bill you havent told us what kind of engine you have, (Engine Model Type and Code) but my bet is that you have a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
596 Posts
You said it started doing it after you got it home. Did you tip the mower excessively to get it in and out of say a pick up truck? If so run it for an hour or so and see if it clears up. Maybe a little oil slipped past the rings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor is a 16HP B+S twin cylinder vanguard #1692682. the motor was not tipped at all loading or unloading off pickup. i have a hump at the end of my driveway unloaded level and when picked up same type of level loading. i was thinking head gasket also. i'm going to use one more time before see if smoke level will decrease. the motor runs great and starts easily. No unusual motor noises.

Bill

Attachments

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,095 Posts
"The motor is a 16HP B+S twin cylinder vanguard #1692682."

Don't know what this number is but it is not the model number. IF it is a 16 hp B&S Vanguard twin, number will start with 40 OR 35.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
4 Posts
could be a blown head gasket. when it is running pull the oil filler cap
and see if it has a lot of pressure in the crankcase. happened to my JD
after 72 hours... 15 bucks for a new gasket and runs like a deer now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Don't know what this number is but it is not the model number. IF it is a 16 hp B&S Vanguard twin, number will start with 40 OR 35.

Walt Conner
Hi Walt - I took those numbers directly off the product ID card that came with the owners manual. It is B+S 16HP vanguard twin.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

Walt Conner
Walt,
The 1692682 is the simplicity number, not going to help you.

billd1954,
Walt will need the b&s number, it will be on the motor itself. Check the motor guards b&S put the numbers on the guards alot. Then people would remove the guards and lose the engine id# **** off alot of people.:fing20: and I love the strips:fing32:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Walt,

Sorry for the confusion. Here is the B+S number - model # 405777, type - 0132 E1, code - 010608YH.

I used the tractor last night. When I checked the oil it was down to add. i added a little oil. The tractor ran great, but still blowing smoke. i snapped some pictures of the smoke. One pic is slow idle other pic is fast idle. With PTO engaged no smoke at all. As you can see alot of smoke!! thanks for all the followups.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Kohler K301 thats an oil hog. The exhaust is a blue at idle and clears when working. It's still burning oil, it's just not noticeable from the exhaust color. Could that be happening? I dont know the oil requirements for your engine, but older engines will smoke if you run 10W-30 in the summer. Maybe the PO got some bad oil? I know I'm grasping but anythings possible.

Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Kohler K301 thats an oil hog. The exhaust is a blue at idle and clears when working. It's still burning oil, it's just not noticeable from the exhaust color. Could that be happening? I dont know the oil requirements for your engine, but older engines will smoke if you run 10W-30 in the summer. Maybe the PO got some bad oil? I know I'm grasping but anythings possible.

Good Luck
Similar problem with my 2000 Regent (CV11-16). For years when I start it, it will blow smoke until I take the choke off then the smoke is fine. LATELY the smoke does not go completely away (very hard to see but it’s there). After starting the PTO it seems to be gone. Larry mentioned that older engines with 10W-30 will smoke. I switched last year to synthetic 10W-30….could this be making it worse??? I live in Eastern NC, do I need to go to a thicker oil?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi,

When i cut grass the tractor appears to run great. Love the tractor!! Why the smoking motor? the oil was recently changed, looks very clean. Sorry if repetitive I checked the achieves, but couldn't find any answers.

thanks
Bill
Did this all start after the oil was changed? Did you change the oil and is the level correct? Check the dipstick to verify.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I never use 10W 30 or any multi grade oil in a mower 30 w detergent oil year round. I wust be old fashioned .
Me too. 30 all the way.:drunkie:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts