My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I have started the tractor with a fan belt since I bought it. It is a 1955 Ford 850. I put the radiator and fuel tank back on today after painting and new fuel pichup and fuel line. I filled the radiator with fresh coolant (green color). I noticed some dripping from the water pump which stopped once I ran the engine for a few minutes. Gasket may have been dry after having no coolant for a few weeks.
I left the cap off the radiator so I could make sure there was good flow, I didn't notice any problems. Then something started making a squeeling noise. I thought it may be the water pump but I couldn't tell. Then milky oil started to drip from the bottom of the engine, in the front directly under the main fan belt pulley. I turned the engine off and pulled the dipstick, milky oil there also. By the way, the oil was golden brown when I started it. I have a bucket on the front of the tractor and there is a hydraulic pump mounted to the front brace. The shaft going to the main pulley (fan belt pulley) from the pump seems to be angled.
I have included a picture of the dripping under the pulley (pooled oil in hand). There is a picture of the oil off the dipstick (lines of oil in hand). I also added two pictures of the front of the tractor where the pump is mounted so you could see the angle.
What is behind the main engine pulley? It seems to be the governor. Would this leak and cause the coolant to mix with the oil?
I am dreading the answer that I know someone will give (Head Gasket).
I was hoping maybe it could be something less complicated.
There was also white smoke coming from the breather cap, not billowing out, but I noticed it when I pulled the cap off.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The angle looks to be low on your pump shaft. Maybe you can loosen the pump and raise it up. Might be a head gasket which isn't all that hard of a fix. The dripping from the pulley might be from the water pump above. Is it all antifreeze or an oil antifreeze mix? If you keep running it in it's present state it may cause more damage.

Kirk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's coming from the water pump. I checked all around the water pump yesterday while it was running and no fluid was leaking down. The main pulley has the "chocolate milk" oil on the inside of the pulley. The antifreeze in the radiator is still green though. Wondering if there is a gasket leak or a worn seal behind The main pulley. There is a plate there with 4 bolts. I have a I&T shop manual but it doesn't have good drawings or cutaways of the front of the engine.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is the 850 you bought at auction, correct? I've looked at your other pics and it looks like a fun project. The first thing I'd do before worrying about the water in the oil is change the oil and filter. If that's the oil that was in it when you picked it up, there's no telling how long it sat outside in the rain and snow. Water could have gotten in from just being out in the weather, or for that matter who knows how long it's been since it was changed. My 860 fluids looked like milk in the engine, trans, & rearend and when I changed it, it's been fine ever since. Good luck and have fun with your project.
Duane
I missed the part where you said the oil was brown and clean when you started it up. Was it oil that you had changed or was it in there from before you bought it? I ask because maybe there was water in the bottom of the pan and when you started running it, the two started to mix together. On the other hand, if it's new oil that you put in, you more than likely have a problem. Hopefully it's just a head gasket..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will change the oil and filter just to check for myself. The guy may have just poured new oil in it before he brought it to the auction, leaving water in the bottom of the pan.
My buddy wants me to buy a gasket kit just so we can tear down the engine and get a good look at.
I will continue to grind, sand, and paint while my parts trickle in.
It's quite rewarding just to put fresh Ford Red paint on everything and get rid of that drab blue color. Every time I grind and sand, I find the original red buried underneath.
A two month project seems like it may turn into 6 months. But I can't complain. Because the wife hasn't said a negative word yet.That may change if a new engine block has to be ordered:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed the oil and filter yesterday in hopes there was water in the oil pan. As soon as I loosened the drain plug the first thing to drop out was green antifreeze. Went through with the oil change, started the engine and ran for about 2 minutes. Pulled the dipstick and got Chocolate Milkshake again.
Next step, order gasket kit and replace the Head Gasket.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started breaking the engine down to pull the head off, replace the head gasket, and all other gaskets. I'm going to take the head to a machine shop to get milled and check for cracks. When I pulled the water pump off, there was no oil in the antifreeze that drained from the engine. When I pulled the valve cover off, here was what I found. Ugly!! Should I be concerned?
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1371508075.087786.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1371508096.204112.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ouch,

I would think that poor old engine needs to be torn down and cleaned up, pressure check head and block and rebuild.

Just think what the oil pump inlet screen looks like...

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
with that much crud surely the oil passages must have been almost closed. Surprised if you had any oil pressure at all. The good news is on your tractor it's easy to drop the pan for a look see unlike the 8n/9n/2n.

Kirk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE.. Got the new head installed this weekend, along with new points, plugs, plug wires, thermostat, and gaskets.
No more water in the oil....YEAH.
New problem though... There is an antifreeze leak (very slow drip) coming out near the starter where the engine block meets the transmission housing. This doesn't make sense to me that there should be antifreeze in this area.
What would cause this, any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts