My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, It is upgrade time for me, and i am looking for advices.

I have been using a john deere x540, 47inch snow blower for snow clearing my 600 ft driveway, and mowing half acre lawn. It is certainly adequate, but I like overpower. So I am looking at my choices.

1) John Deere 1025R.
I dreamed about this machine, but I guess it is like dating, meeting it in person ruined it for me. After looking at it, at the show room, it felt huge, I had to climb up to it. Wasn't sure if it will fit inside my garage with the all the implements.

2) John Deere X758
Seems to be a reasonable size, looks very strong. I got a quote for it including 47 inch snow blower package with hydraulic control, 54in blade, 54 inch drive over deck, grass catcher. The total comes to over $20k. It is amazing how how quickly things the dollars add up. One thing I love about this is the deck, I really like the mulch control option. It will be nice to change on the fly without unmount the deck, and flip the deck over to change blade.

3) Somewhat disappointed with John deere, I went over to Kubota showroom, and looked at BX2380. It is physically very compact, quite a bit smaller than the 1025R, seems to me about the same physical size as X758. With 50 in snow blower, grass catcher, front loader, rear ballast, 3 point hitch, and 54 inch drive over deck, comes to about just 4k more than the X758. One thing it doesn't have is mulch control. It is not easy to switch between mulching and bagging.

I am tilting towards the Kubota. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
For a point of reference I have a JD 2305 and Simplicity Conquest 50" w/power flow bagger.

The SCUT of either color are very capable and as you have noticed, the options turn into serious $$$ quickly. Having a loader would be nice but these sized units aren't really quite heavy enough to dig in dirt very well. For as expensive as the fan assisted baggers are, I just bought another mower for trim work and bagging when needed. I paid $2500 for the Simplicity Conquest with 94 hours on the clock. The Simplicity (my 3rd one) quality of cut is so much better than my old JD 235 it's sad. In my apple orchard I have a problem with the JD2305 since the roll bar does not fold down and mowing under trees is not possible.

Guess I didn't help much. You have to decide do you want a real NICE lawn mower or a SCUT.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
For lawn and snow duty, the smaller 758 has the advantage with the adaptable mower deck.

When ground engaging implements like a front blade or a FEL enter the picture, the 2-speed final drive in the SCUTs becomes critical for reducing wear in the hydro and for a higher torque value for the drive.

You want a tractor that will handle the task requiring the most hours per year with a comfortable level of performance. In snow country, that is usually snow duty.

Of your list of potential implements, only the snow blower requires large horsepower numbers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decision has been made, I ordered a 1025R two weeks ago, and it is coming on Monday. I did consider Kubota BX, it is about $1500 less than the 1025R comparably equipped, while I love the equipment, in the end the dealer service/purchasing experience is much better with John deere, so I am sticking with green color.

Here is why I made that decision. I am on a 3.5 acre lot, but I only mow half a acre, so mowing is secondary. I got a 600 ft driveway with a big end of driveway pile issue. Front loader is the best tool for this as I learned. I think I can also take care some long term landscaping projects on the property that a mower can't do.

So is a compromise decision, I know it is not going to mow as nice as the smaller X540. But I don't have enough garage space for two tractors. So the X540 has been sold, it has been a good little tractor.

C5rulz, you are absolutely correctly on the bagger. On the 1025r, the powerflow and three bag combination over 2.5k. Simplicity Conquest looks like a really nice mower. I guess it is equivalent to the X500 series machines. You got a good deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.