My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to identify this mower for a friend of mine.

Any information could help. I believe it is a briggs and stratton engine.

Other than that, I have no idea what brand / model it could be. (Or year)

Here is a picture.

Any ideas as to what it is?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I have a RUGG mower from the 50s,early 60s. The only similarity is your sitting nearly on the engine. lol
Made me think of that,,but that tube frame ,on yours,is completely different. So I don't have a clue!!! lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can you post a pic of the carb side of the engine? I don't know my old riders very well, but some of the older Sears units were built like this. Looks like it may have a Lauson engine on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a RUGG mower from the 50s,early 60s. The only similarity is your sitting nearly on the engine. lol
Made me think of that,,but that tube frame ,on yours,is completely different. So I don't have a clue!!! lol
Yeah, reminded me of a RUGG at first too.

Can you post a pic of the carb side of the engine? I don't know my old riders very well, but some of the older Sears units were built like this. Looks like it may have a Lauson engine on it
I'm still not sure what it is, I will try to get more pictures as soon as possible.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,712 Posts
I had a similar looking 1960 Sears Craftsman one like that,but the rear wheels were ouside the frame,not inside it...had the same handlebars,but the front axle was covered up by a sheet metal stamping...that one is probably some other brand...maybe Rugg,Huffy,or some department store "special" they sold at places like Western Auto,etc...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
We had a similar Craftsman mower back then. Is the shift lever under the seat?. Ours was a four Horsepower, I think. I remember you had to crank the recoil starter to wind it up, then flip a switch to release it.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Here is a picture.

That rider was made by Eska. Eska was known for outboard motors up to about 9.9 hp.All Eska's came with a Tecumseh power head including the Sears Gamefisher also made by Eska. Im not sure of the mfg date on that one but Eska was the only rider mower that resembles a coastal mine sweeper boat!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Here is a picture.

On your engine shroud there will be 3 sets of numbers die stamped into the metal. One says Model the second says type and third says code. The first 2 digits of the code # indicate year of engine mfg. The second two digits indicate the month of engine mfg then after that is the day then the last two digits indicate the assy line it was made on. This formula is for all Briggs engines

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
Hi echojohnny and
to My Tractor Forum ....you sound pretty knowledgeable for a stooge nyuk nyuk nyuk 😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi echojohnny and View attachment 2454502 to My Tractor Forum ....you sound pretty knowledgeable for a stooge nyuk nyuk nyuk 😁
Well i have been working as a mechanic in lawnmower shops since i was 12 years old and now at 55 im semi retired and working from my home shop located in the middle of nowhere in north Texas. And your response of nyk nyk should be
Ebbbbbb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts