My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
MTF Newbie
2 Posts
I hope this is the right place to post. I bought the four wheel steering John Deere tractor. It does not turn as sharp as a zero turn but I can do a lot more with it. I can pull my trailer, move the boat, use the drop seeder, and best of all, put the plow on the front. Running it in the winter to plow the driveway makes it run a whole lot better. It’s better for everything mechanical and the battery.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
exactly what I’m trying to do lol.

can the 735 zturn handle a thaching take or aerator? What about a spreader? Realistically those are the things that are needed for the first few years.

In terms of the tractor I think it’s really about future potential vs current mowing speed. And taking into account what am I really really going to be attaching, pulling, hauling, towing vs what I have in my head.
Z735M questions
Thatching Rake — I couldn’t see where you can get a front mount thatcher for the Z735M so it would have to be a tow type which doesn’t work the machine very hard and should be fine.
Aerator — a plug type may be too much, spike type should be okay to pull.
Hauling — something like a John Deere 10P cart would be fine with either.

In comparison (of some of the items that have mattered to me)
of the X590 54” and the Z735M (60”):
=======================================
engine (hp) —————— 25.5 EFI — 25 (non EFI?)
deck width (inches) ———— 54” —— 60”
speed forward (mph) ——— 7.2 —— 9.5
weight (lbs) ——————— 805 —— 909 lbs
rear wheels ————— 24” HDAP — 23” turf
cut height (inches) ———— 1-4” — 2-5” (both are 1/4” increments and yes you may use them)

Over Summary:
The tractor will start very easily in all temperatures, be slower, give a good ride, handle more attachments especially for new lawn prep, not mark soft ground as much, handle well, cut at most typical heights, but not handle tall grass as well as the Z735M. Do not expect to use a power flow unit on the tractor without having issues keeping the deck level.

The Z735M will start well whenever you do yard work, be faster because of cutting travel speed and blade speed, give a good ride, handle most typical lawn attachments, handle well as long as you don’t make true 0 turns (it will tear up grass), allow a higher cut which may be good for some situations and will cut taller grass well.

There’s no magical answer. Either of these two machines are great choices and should give great service, maybe just not in every conceivable situation like leveling dirt or gravel, but even then you may have something you want to do that even the tractor can’t do. That’s when you go rent the right type machine. That’s why Deere makes so many types and sizes. Confusing I know, but try them both before buying and see which you and your wife like best. My experiences have been mostly positive and interestingly you will find things you never considered.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I have owned both and if you intend to only mow and never have any other use for your machine then the zero will be the best solution. But if you think you will eventually need other implements then the 590 is the correct choice. I think zeros are best for people who mow for a living and time is money. But as was mentioned before here, mowing is an escape from a lot of things that we all need a break from. I look at mowing as therapy and wouldn't shorten it for any amount of money. Plus the 590 looks like a tractor and will make you proud to be seen on it. The zero looks like a project that isn't quite finished yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As others have said an x590 will now your 3 acres but a zturn that is similarly priced will probably now that same lawn in half the time.

A zturn won't pull a cart well or tow anything to work the ground if you plan on doing landscaping or gardening.

I would get a nice zturn for now and start looking for a nice 1 series or Kubota for something later to take care of the 3 acres. With that much area you will find a FEL very handy to haul material.
I bought a CUB Tank.zturn. I also bought a front blade for it to push snow. I had a 1300 ' driveway. It took a little getting used to. But once I got the hang of it, it was very smooth, I also pull a big wagon with it, loaded with wood. I love mowing with it as well, just had to learn the "Zero turn reality ".It is a powerhouse for me. I recently bought 590X , and as some of you know, attached a 44 inch blower to it. I removed the brand new deck as I really prefer my Tank for mowing. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
405 Posts
They don't seem to have the Tank new anymore. I think that is similar to the Pro Z series they have now. They look nice, but many professionals seem to have very low confidence in Cub Cadet these days. For residential use, I am sure they are fine. But, my neighbor had a CC GT, shaft drive. He raved about it at first, but not so much after it kept spending a lot of time in the shop. I am sure there are lots of good and great choices out there. That's the advantage and disadvantage of today. There LOTS of choices ?.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They don't seem to have the Tank new anymore. I think that is similar to the Pro Z series they have now. They look nice, but many professionals seem to have very low confidence in Cub Cadet these days. For residential use, I am sure they are fine. But, my neighbor had a CC GT, shaft drive. He raved about it at first, but not so much after it kept spending a lot of time in the shop. I am sure there are lots of good and great choices out there. That's the advantage and disadvantage of today. There LOTS of choices ?.
Yep, agree about lots of choices. This is a Cub commercial SZ 60. (I liked the steering wheel) ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Cub Cadet makes ones with a steering wheel if that is a real concern. Some of the commercial ones have a small joystick control for one hand use, leaving the other free for beverage consumption.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,387 Posts
On many zero turns the sticks are close enough together for brief sips of frosty beverage in the straight always.

My problem on every machine I’ve operated is the fizzy stuff goes flat, gets full of debris, and warm before I can consume it all. My only solution to that is to switch to wine out of a 24 oz Yeti with a closable lid. Modern problems require modern solutions!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Quick update - the local dealer is offering a good deal on a Z920M - thoughts compared to the 735?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
To me it looks somewhat even, depending on whether decks are the same width.

Z920M — — — Z735(M?)
Kawasaki FX730V — JD M49 810CC SSC
23.5 hp — — — 25 hp
deck 7gauge — deck 9 gauge
11.5 gal — — — 8 gal
Dual canister — 5” centrifugal
Tow 400 lbs — none listed
0- 10 mph — — 0 - 9.5 mph
24x12-12 — — 23x10.5-12 rear tires
13x6.5-6 — — — 13x6.5-6 caster tires
1283 lbs — — — 990 (60” deck)
3 yr no stop — 4 yr 750 hr warranty
commercial — residential

All in all, pretty comparable. Maybe consider an Z925M EFI for 25 hp and I think the EFI engines are more fuel efficient. I don’t think you need 11 gal fuel capacity if I remember your acreage correctly. I only use about 1 gal per 2 acres (1.25 hrs). I believe the Z9xx series is built heavier duty and I like the dual canister air filter. Weight can be a factor depending on your lawn.

If you would consider used, take a look here.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts