My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X590 or zeroturn ... well I got a new house. We got about 3 acres of nice flat grass.

but I’m torn between the extendability of the x590 and everything “else” it can do vs just really mowing the grass which being realistic it’s the main thing is tocut grass...

do you think I’m going to regret if I get a zturn?

I’m in souther NJ - so we don’t get a lot of snow, but man some of those attachments, pulling power, etc might be too hard to pass up.
Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
As an X500 owner I don't quite understand how the engine in the X590 makes it that much more extendable than any of the other X500-series machines but if your primary objective is to mow a lot of grass on a nice big flat area, without a doubt a ZTR will mow rings around a standard 4-wheel front-wheel steer riding mower.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Depends on the zero turn you are considering. There is a big difference, in every dimension, between the various choices in zero turns. Zero turns have a learning curve. Since your land is flat, you should be fine with one that has normal stick controls. But, those can tear up your yard if you are not careful.

An X590 can certainly do things that a zero turn can't. But a really good zero turn can mow grass faster than an X590 can. You have quite a bit of lawn, so the speed difference will make more of a difference. If you don't need or really want a tractor, get a good zero turn with commercial grade transmissions. It will be about the same price as an X590.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Depends on the zero turn you are considering. There is a big difference, in every dimension, between the various choices in zero turns. Zero turns have a learning curve. Since your land is flat, you should be fine with one that has normal stick controls. But, those can tear up your yard if you are not careful.
That's for sure. A lot of new ZTR owners are surprised to learn that you can't really make a zero-turn on a ZTR without tearing up the lawn. You have to do more of a mini three-point turn. It is still much faster and tighter turning than a conventional tractor.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Last fall I was mowing a soccer field. I used my X738 54” deck most of the season and found I could mow the 2 acres in an hour and 10 minutes using a rectangle mowing pattern, about 3 seconds per turn, but I bought a used John Deere 757 commercial 60” deck and mowed once in about the same time mowing across with big sweeping turns on each side. I know it will mow faster, but it was my first time with a ZTR so it took me a little while to start feeling comfortable with it. I took it the length of the field to blow some leaves off and tried pushing controls full forward and was amazed how fast it was and smooth riding. I hadn’t done anything to it so I just mowed to get a good cut and to learn to handle it. Getting older, speed is not the best thing for good results.

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Go diesel,

·
Registered
84 Posts
As others have said an x590 will now your 3 acres but a zturn that is similarly priced will probably now that same lawn in half the time.

A zturn won't pull a cart well or tow anything to work the ground if you plan on doing landscaping or gardening.

I would get a nice zturn for now and start looking for a nice 1 series or Kubota for something later to take care of the 3 acres. With that much area you will find a FEL very handy to haul material.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I cut the grass at work with a zero turn, probably 1.5 acres. Cuts grass fast but....boring as heck. I cut my grass at home with my X570 and it's a completely different experience, very enjoyable. With your 3 acres I can't help but think you will need to tow, drag things like mulch, tree limbs, and you can get a front blade for snow or pushing around your burn pile...etc. Go drive both mowers and see what you like, but the fun factor, for me, made me buy a tractor.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Merely one opinion here:
My X500 (no hydraulics) gets about 90% 1 acre mowing duty with a 48" deck, which includes towing of my Cyclone Rake each mowing. The rest is fall leaf cleaning , snow plowing, yard cart towing, pulling old shrubs, and general yard work of every kind. It's foot print fits into my horribly cluttered garage, and has plenty of "pull" when needed.

I'm partial to a 4 wheeled tractor for sure so this is biased that way. I can run my tractor into the drainage ditch when it dries up to clean it out, and the diff lock gets me out of the odd muck just fine. I've read opininons on the HD tires being too aggressive for lawn work, but have found that this is simply not true at all and are great in the snow too.

Towable implements are out there if I need them. Right now, my areator and yard cart are all I have, but a sprayer, and a scraper blade for a short gravel side road are on the list, along with anything else I can bolt or hook to this thing.

Lastly, yes, it is not as fast mowing as a Zturn, but hey, who wants to cut short on seat time? Running the X500 is like a mini spring, summer, and fall vacation for me every 5 to 10 days!! ? But, if time is an issue, you need to consider that too. But personally, I'd save time somewhere else and enjoy more seat time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cut the grass at work with a zero turn, probably 1.5 acres. Cuts grass fast but....boring as heck. I cut my grass at home with my X570 and it's a completely different experience, very enjoyable. With your 3 acres I can't help but think you will need to tow, drag things like mulch, tree limbs, and you can get a front blade for snow or pushing around your burn pile...etc. Go drive both mowers and see what you like, but the fun factor, for me, made me buy a tractor.
I have the same thoughts. If I do get a zturn I’m probably looking at the z735M; though I don’t really want to rip up my grass with the zturn — hmmm but also half the time with the zturn is nice

·
Registered
475 Posts
Seat time? Best part of my day or week is spent doing something to my property that involves my tractor. Buy a ZT if that's what you think you need, but with 3 acres of property you'll eventually ask yourself why you bought one. You can't pull much of anything with a ZT, and any attachment you buy for the ZT is almost always a compromise between what you need and what you can get. With the X590 you'll have all the best features of an entry level tractor capable of pulling heavy loads, hydraulics, sleeve hitch ground engaging attachments and more. This would be a no brainer for me, but I'm not you, and I'm on my 2nd upgrade in a year., going from an X580 to an X738, and probably a 1023e by the end of the month. This is because I now have a serious need for an FEL and spending $3-4K for after market FELs makes no sense when I can literally swap out the X738 with my dealer for the 1023e and the cost of the FEL.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
OR get the Z and get a used older tractor even without a mower deck cheap.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Beware the size creep. If bigger is better, can you ever get too big? When does that happen?

I have a B2620 (not green ?). It is only a little bigger than a 1 series. For a brief while, I considered replacing my B2620 and my X300 with a 1025R. While the 1 series is great and many people use them as mowers, I looked at enough videos of them and then in person to see it would be way too big for my needs for mowing. Then I looked at the reach and lift of the loader. It would not be able to fill my compost bins as effectively. Since that is the task with the most hours, that pretty much killed it for me. The B2620 has several hundred pounds and quite a few inches of ground clearance over the 1 series. So, for normal tractor things, it is a much better choice. It probably is not quite as agile as the 1 series.

I ended up buying a used X534. It has been too cold/wet to use it much yet. But, while being significantly bigger (really only a few inches in each dimension, but really looks/feels bigger) with the AWS, it is more nimble/agile than my X300 (which is no slouch). Normally, the difference doesn't matter much, and even a 2WS X700 series would be fine. But, I have spots where agility is important. Despite being significantly bigger, the X534 handles them as good and sometimes better than the X300. If you don't have any spots like that, maybe a 1 series would make a fine mower for you. The 425 is a very nice machine. Years ago I saw one on CL and seriously considered it, but it had a 60" deck, which was way too big for what I wanted. Years later I was visiting a friend and her husband had one. I commented on it, and it turned out it was the very one I had considered. He was very happy with it.

I am glad that I have a mower AND a tractor as separate machines. If you needs are similar enough, one machine might be able to fulfill them. Good luck with the search, when you are ready the right machine will find you (it does help to be on the lookout though ?).

·
Registered
427 Posts
If my 3 acres didnt have 100 ft of vertical and winter didnt bring an average 10' of snow, I would have a 997 instead of a 4WD garden tractor. And here is a 17P cart behind one.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
OR get the Z and get a used older tractor even without a mower deck cheap.
Ditto, but I wouldn’t go smaller than 54” deck, simply because of the time it will take to do 3 acres. I began helping a widow friend 6 or 7 years ago. She and her husband used a couple of Yardman 42” mowers and it took 3 hrs with both, 6 hrs with one. The engine died on one and she asked me to look for a new tractor for her. I looked at what she seemed to be able to afford, but finally decided to get a used Husqvarna GTH27V52LS 50” fab deck. I found I could mow the entire 3 acres in 1 1/2 hrs with a better cut. After 5 years, I finally sold it to her after her other Yardman weakened.

All mowers cut at different speeds and vary at cut quality. ZTR’s (at least commercial) tend to run blades faster allowing faster mowing speeds.

Two machines can allow you the best of both worlds, but doubles the upkeep. Used machines can be a good alternative for saving $$$ while still giving capabilities and options.

Try as many as you can and study as much as you can. Even then you won’t appreciate some features on newer machines until you’ve tried them. That’s what I found with the drive over and auto-connect features on my X738. Likewise for the weight which made the machine more stable on side hills in the ditch in front of the house. Likewise for the EFI which made starting in cold weather much, much better when I stored it in the unheated, detached garage. The Hydraulic All Wheel Drive allows me to snowblow without chains or weights as well as mowing the steep ditch bank that was otherwise limited to a trimmer.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,413 Posts
I prefer to mow with a zero turn, as I actually find them fun to run and they can do fun things with striping patterns easier than a traditional tractor. If you KNOW you’ll be mostly mowing, I’d vote zero turn. After you’ve lived there awhile, you’ll get a really good feel for what your overall needs are. Then start shopping for a second machine if you feel you need one.

You might find you would prefer a tractor over the zero turn in time. In that case, dump the ZT and go shopping again. None of these decisions are permanent.

For mowing, though, you can’t go wrong with a good used commercial zero turn.

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
All mowers cut at different speeds and vary at cut quality. ZTR’s (at least commercial) tend to run blades faster allowing faster mowing speeds.
Commercial ZTR's though are alot more money then a Residential ZTR . Also you may not be happy going at top speed on a Residntial ZTR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Commercial ZTR's though are alot more money then a Residential ZTR . Also you may not be happy going at top speed on a Residntial ZTR.
blahhh so many conflicting decisions! I’m thinking mowing will be primary for the first year or two.
Anyone out there have a z735? And I guess the cost of that compared to the few zturns I see hanging out outside Lowe’s lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a Z540R that was a fantastic mower. Would mow anything and never bog down. Would mow well at max speed of I think 9 mph. Put a 100 hrs.o. It with absolutely no issues.

I moved and it wasn't so good on the hills, also needed a snowplow and other equipment so got a X738. Wish I could have kept both but not in the budget.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
An x590 is going to run around 8-9k brand new. Its a lot of money to spend on a tractor. For 9k you can get a commercial grade zturn.

I agree on the spending time in the seat though. I mowed 3 baseball fields as a volunteer last spring and even though I had a zturn available to me I mowed them all with my x738. It was totally enjoyable the while time I was mowing. My x7 can mow at full speed while mulching in wet grass and leave a beautiful clump free cut. The fields looked better when I mowed them than they did with the zturn that was side discharge.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts