My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a new Simplicity today or tomorrow. I have my choices narrowed to: Regent 18/38 or 20/44. Both come with the Kohler Courage.

To me, I'm most concerned with the quality of cut. I have thick lawn and I also like to mulch. My first question is....
1. Is there a difference in the cut between the two tractors? I ask only because the 20/44 has a 3 blade deck while the 18/38 has only 2 blades.

2. Will the extra HP in the 20/44 make a difference in the ability of the tractor to mulch? Again, I have a pretty thick lawn.

·
Registered
441 Posts
How big of a lawn? If your mowing a little 1/4 acre piece it's not worth going for the bigger cut .

I think either machine will perform well mulching . Both will cut well also . The extra hp is nice , but if it's mainly a mower I don't think you'll need it . But , if you plan on using power robbing attachments it would be a benefit ( snow blower etc) .

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a Snapper L200-2044 (same tractor as regent with a differnt mower deck) It is a three blade deck with mulching kit. If you are mulching you have to drive slower and cut more often, Mine does a much nicer job mulching than the two Deere mowers I had before this. I would recommend the 44 inch deck. Make it easier getting closer in corners,around trees ECT. I love mowing with mine and would think the Simplicity mower deck would be even better.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My yard is a 1/2 acre. And the mower will only be used cut grass and occasionally....like every 2 years.....be used to haul some mulch around the yard for the flower beds.

I cut the lawn pretty often, every 3 days. Is the mulching kit worth it, I don't like the cuttings to go into the flower beds.......and I have a lot of them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a 16 HP Regent when I lived on 2 acres and it did a great job with a mulch kit. The 38" deck is great if you like to follow over your previous tire track from the last row. If you get the larger deck your pattern will have slightly larger tire paths between rows. Also, it is a little easier to get closer to the trees and edges with the wider deck.

I would make sure the Courage engine is reliable. Early versions of this engine had some issues (According to the local lawn and garden tech)

·
Registered
223 Posts
With the three blades you will get more cutting efficiency and in theory should mulch better. Wether or not you will see any difference on your lawn is hard to say.

I personally prefer three bladed decks over two. I also suggest that you give the mower a try before you go down the mulch kit path.

I just bought a Simplicity Prestige this spring and was convinced I needed a mulching kit. I'm mowing a little over an acre and have TONS of landscaping / flower beds (takes 15 yards of mulch to cover our beds!)

My tractor arrived with the mulching kit on backorder. After using it for a while, I couldn't see how a mulching kit would do anything better other than block off the side discharge. I have learned to mow around the landscaping first to keep from blowing clippings into them. I added a set of Gator blades and all is good, so I canceled the order for the mulch kit.

Enjoy the new tractor!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard that before, about the mulching kit. Some guys say it's not necessary, especially when the gator blades are on.

I have a set of gator blades on my current 10 year old Craftsman. Without the mulching kit, the grass is just blown to my right and lays on top of the lawn. Is the Simplicity so much better that the cut blades of grass will not be present on top of my lawn without the mulching kit?

Also, what comes with the mulching kit?

·
Banned
628 Posts
My yard is a 1/2 acre. And the mower will only be used cut grass and occasionally....like every 2 years.....be used to haul some mulch around the yard for the flower beds.

I cut the lawn pretty often, every 3 days. Is the mulching kit worth it, I don't like the cuttings to go into the flower beds.......and I have a lot of them?
im sure you can find something cheap to just move mulch around... why even buy a new lawn tractor ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, just to throw a new wrinkle in to the mix I just talked one of my local dealers down to $2700 and no delivery for the 22/44 with a Briggs. Is there a difference in the quality of cut between this and the 20/44 with the Kohler Courage?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Defcondaze.....no. Sorry for the confusion, I'll be using to cart some mulch around the yard every 2 years or so. I will be cutting the grass and mulching leaves from Arpil through November.....about 2x per week.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
My neighbor has the 44" deck with mulch kit on his Conquest. His lawn always looks nice to me. He also has the turbo bagger like I do but mulches most of the season.

MU

·
Registered
36 Posts
What town is your dealer in? I also live in CT and am looking for a deal on either a Simplicity or Snapper. I have dealt with the guy in Shelton and he is very knowledgeable.

Bobby

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can't wait to get it. I didn't get the mulching kit, however. I was planning on waiting to see if I needed it, but I know that I'm going to want to get it b/c I'm just that picky about the appearance of my lawn.

Is there a way to pick up one cheap or do I have to go through the dealer. Dealer is $165.00.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Let me know how it goes.. I have to wait 30 more days for mine till we move in. Picked the same as you :)

Can you post some pics of your lawn :)

I'm going to wait to see if I need/want the mulch kit

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a recent thread regarding the mulching kit... I do not think you can get it much cheaper however you can buy the individual parts. I bought just the plug and the price was $35.00 The baffel is what is expensive. The plug with gator blades is fantastic! I ordered through small engine parts warehouse.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the plug from my dealer instead of the whole kit. I'm tempted just to go out and buy the gator blades too, but my head is saying wait and see.

I've posted a few picts of the yard for scrutinization. With all of the rain we've had here in CT, it's certainly green. However, I, like everyone else in the area, am battling Red Thread. I can't stand it and I get it every year, no matter what I do to prevent it.

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Smolenski7,
Red Thread? Is that a sort of weed? I have something growing in my lawn that looks like red twigs sticking out of the ground, until I mow. I have not seen it until this year, been wondering what it is.
:thanku:
Beautiful lawn, by the way!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts