My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that I will bite the bullet and buy a BRAND NEW mower this year. Here are the parameters. I has to be $2000 or less. It has to have a hydrostatic transmission. It has to have a 42" cut or larger. This next item is not a deal breaker but I would really like to find one with a Kohler engine. I am open to all makes that fit the requirements above.

Please help me get a good deal and the best bang for the buck.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
If you're just talking mower and not garden tractor, then a used late model cub 1000, 2000 or i-Series should meet all those requirements. My i1050 with 60 hrs on it was $1600.

Some here will tell you they're not durable/reliable because made by MTD but mine seems to be holding up just fine.

If you have to have brand new then you're probably limited to just the 1000 series, or a Craftsman. I'm not sure where the JD's prices fall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Of course, $2000 or less won't give you stellar quality, but I assume you don't have very much lawn you need mowed.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_89549_54965_-1

The Troy-Bilt Horse has a 50" deck, 22hp Kohler engine, and is $1999. This mower does not have a hydrostatic transmission from what I can tell. I'll edit if I can find another mower with a hydro, but it might be a little hard considering the price range.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I think the Craftsman YT series fall into that $2K or less category. I had an '06 YS4500 with a B/S 24HP V-Twin, TT K46 Hydro, 20" rear tires and 42" deck. Gave a great cut and was plenty powerful, overall is was a very nice tractor. It compared very closely with the JD X300, IMO. :goodl:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I am not a craftsman person but for some of the prices and deals they have thrown out lately on there new stuff. I am starting to consider. Pretty reasonable for a decent sized GT/ LT.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I am not a craftsman person but for some of the prices and deals they have thrown out lately on there new stuff. I am starting to consider. Pretty reasonable for a decent sized GT/ LT.
I agree:thThumbsU slkpk

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
how about Husqvarna? They have a few decent tractors with Kohlers. The ones I sell at Lowes people have been pleased with. YTH20K46 has a Courage single 20HP, and if your local Lowes store still has it, the LGT 2554 has a 25hp Courage twin, it's just about your price point, but worth a good, and a 54" deck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought the Sears YT3000 with the Kohler 22hp and 42" deck. They have it on sale for $1499.99. I looked over a lot of mowers and this seems to give me the best bang for the buck. I mow 1 acre a week with the mower. I have a finish mower on my JD 950 for the pastures. I think this mower will do the lawn for a long time. If anyone has the YT3000 please let me know how you like it. They haven't delivered mine yet. I won't get it until Monday.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Tony

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I just bought the Sears YT3000 with the Kohler 22hp and 42" deck.[...] They haven't delivered mine yet. I won't get it until Monday.
Tony
Congrats. We expect pictures!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I HAVE A c/c 1046vt, N0 problems so fat, Hydro Elect pto 46'' cut Turning radis 12''. Around 1900$ . Cheick it out. Looks .

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Just saw this Tony, I love spending other peoples money :ROF , BUT I see you already spent yours and congrats on the new machine :fing32: .

·
Registered
444 Posts
Congratzzz, Tony! Have fun with the new machine when it comes in monday.
Charge up them camera batteries. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts