My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing with my LX280 and my right front tire hit a hole while I was turning left. The drag link popped off the tie rod end. I popped it back on but it won't stay. Do I need to replace the link or the tie rod? My guess is the link or both. Also, once I fix it do I have to avoid holes while turning? I expected it to be a bit tougher in this respect. Is ther a way to "upgrade" this assembly?

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
not sure about an upgrade part but yes you are going to need to replace the tie rod end once they come apart they are junk the draglink should be fine as long as it isn't bent im guessing that there was looseness in the steering before this happened because a tie rod end that is in good shape should not come apart just from hitting a hole while you are at it i would suggest checking the rest of the steering system for any abnormal play and replace whatever other parts are bad or questionable

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was some play, I didn't even think of it. I'll replace both tie rods and see where to go from there.

not sure about an upgrade part but yes you are going to need to replace the tie rod end once they come apart they are junk the draglink should be fine as long as it isn't bent im guessing that there was looseness in the steering before this happened because a tie rod end that is in good shape should not come apart just from hitting a hole while you are at it i would suggest checking the rest of the steering system for any abnormal play and replace whatever other parts are bad or questionable

1 - 3 of 3 Posts