My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do an oil change and I seem go have what the manual refers to as a "Cross pin drain valve". How do I remove this to drain the oil? I tried to put a socket on the valve, but it doesn't seem to work. Is anyone familiar with this kind of drain plug?

Any other tips on oil and filter change for this machine?

Cheers!

·
Registered
726 Posts
i own a 400 - the oil drain valve opens, no need to remove it. should see a small metal rod on the end - turn left to open. may need to clean and spry wd40 or liq wrench to free up. i would remove the tins on the engine and clean the fins etc.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I agree. I would also put a little tube on the drain valve so you can route the oil to your drain pan and avoid a large mess but it's not required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the input! Is it just supposed to turn by hand or pliers or...? I'll give it a shot of PB blaster and see what happens! The dealer did a change last year when I had some work done, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Where does the tube fit on? Right now I've just have a drain pan by the wheel

Cheers

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Mine is like a petcock so there should be a nipple you can slide small hose/tube on it so you can route the oil as you see fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To close the loop formanyone doing a search in the future:

- pin valve may need to be cracked with some pliers (I'm sure there is a specialty tool that would make it easier) and can then be opened by hand.
- my tractor has a short hose that leads aft beside the frame to just behind the steering linkage. An oil pan set below this / on the deck will easily catch the oil
- a special note of appreciation for including an inclined 'tray' below the oil filter so that any drips are guided away from the engine - nice touch!

Easy one-bananna job once I figured out how to open the valve. I've tried strong hand tight this time, so should be easier to open at the end of the season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts