My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a system error when booting up. It says my windows\system folder is corrupt or missing. When we got the computer (Dell) it never came with a system disk. I've tried all the safe modes and nothing. I then downloaded what was said would let me boot from the CD drive. It only goes so far and stops. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
When my laptop did that to me it turned out to be a bad hard drive, it had been bad for a while but then it took a big dump on me so I bought another drive. Hopefully your problem is just software related. If you can, you might want to see if you can take out that hard drive and put it in another machine to see if it is the actual hard drive that is freaking out. Or you could buy a cable that allows you to connect your hard drive to your computer through USB so you can view it like a flash drive and run some scans on it.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Got a system error when booting up. It says my windows\system folder is corrupt or missing. When we got the computer (Dell) it never came with a system disk. I've tried all the safe modes and nothing. I then downloaded what was said would let me boot from the CD drive. It only goes so far and stops. Any advice greatly appreciated.
I assume you never created your recovery disks...:(

And you do NOT have a complete disk image backup...:(

If you have a complete disk image backup...you could take that and your computer to a Best Buy and pay the Geeks to reload your data...

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Just don't expect it to work right after paying "The Geeks" to do it... They are NOT computer experts.

What I would do (if you have access to another computer) is download an Ultimate Boot CD ISO, burn a disk, boot the machine into the UBCD (which is it's own little mini operating system) then run a Check Disk repair. And if you could come up with an original system disk you could do a repair on windows.

If that doesn't do it, the hard drive probably took a dump, so you are looking at a new drive (www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com) and a retail copy of XP.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
I have been having a problem with a laptop, says Im not connected to a modem.
after hours of searching for a magic check box, I run PC doctor >diagnostics. It says the hard drive failed.. Good luck:goodl:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Freebird, If you bought your Dell new, you can download a backup disk or disks one time. Check with Dell and tell them of your problem. They can access your computer, with your permission and correct just about any problem that exists. In some cases, they will send you a restore disk if you ask. PJ

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Ah, yes, the era of the DIY restore disks. Thank goodness the manufacturers have learned that saving those pennies wasn't worth the ill will it earned them now.

I agree. Call Dell and tell them you want some restore disks.

The UBCD referenced above cen help you out too, take your time. There are several utilities on it that can be a bit overwhelming. Don't miss the drive daignostics. You may find your fault there. :goodl:

Steve

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, A friend here at work knew a really smart tech dude that would guarantee he could fix my pc for 75 bucks or it's free. He did. Turns out one of my DDR memory chips had gone bad. Also to note on Dell computers they have a private partition that they can use to rebuild Windows back to factory spec. It did. I am almost finished setting up email etc. It's good to have it back!

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Yes most newer dells have a copy of the OS in a hidden partition and also built in diagnostics (very rudimentary but can sometimes diagnose issues).

Glad you are back up and running. Memory is so hard to troubleshoot because it can fail so many ways, I've seen ram go bad to the point where only a certain spread sheet would cause a BSOD and everyone assumes it's software at that point and it turns out to be RAM and only after running a Memtest86 for four hours did I figure out it was the ram stick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
try hitting f11 as you start up just keep clicking it until the message comes up, a lot of oem's (i believe dell is one of them) rig that button to start the recovery process. (it is actually what is on that second partition that Brett referred to) keep in mind that this "recovery" process wipes everything and restores to factory defaults, and you will lose everything, if you want your data first id suggest taking your hard drive to a place that can copy the documents and such that you need to removable media.
just noticed that you already fixed it but i had already written this so ill post it anyways, maybe it will help someone else

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
Update, A friend here at work knew a really smart tech dude that would guarantee he could fix my pc for 75 bucks or it's free. He did. Turns out one of my DDR memory chips had gone bad. Also to note on Dell computers they have a private partition that they can use to rebuild Windows back to factory spec. It did. I am almost finished setting up email etc. It's good to have it back!
and to anyone with a dell who wants to wipe their drive and get rid of that partition, ue gateways gwscan program to write zeroes to it; it works great, easy to use. then boot the os setup cd and its good to go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts