My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys I'm stumped ! my neighbor's '03 JD LA130, Kohler Command 23 horse Vtwin, 1300 hours, was parked for the last 3-3 1/2 years & about a month & a half ago I got it up & running again. When he parked it he did absolutely nothing other than to cover it up with a tarp. I changed the oil & filter, & the fuel filter, inspected the plugs,drained the old fuel & refilled it & replaced the battery. Started it up & it ran ok for a while then it started surging. I ran some carb cleaner through it & adjusted the idle mixture & it was ok again for a while. to make a long story short ... some days it runs beautifully & other days it will surge like crazy unless I run it with the choke half closed. I've run 2 bottles of gumout carb & fuel injector cleaner through it (about 1/4 bottle per tank of gas) changed the fuel filter a couple more times & still have the same problem. I even tried a different fuel pump from another tractor on it I've run it about 40 hours total now & wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. could there have been so much crap in the carb from sitting that I still have junk plugging the passages in the carb? I do know that my neighbor was starting this thing a couple times a year for a while, which probably only makes it worse, 'cause he never drained the carb & the fuel was just left to evaporate & I know for certain that he never put Stabil in it as he didn't even know what it was 'til I went shopping with him one day for some stuff for his mowing service. what do ya think? should I just pull the carb & rebuild it ?

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Yep sounds like you have some that is stuck in there moving around which sometimes blocks passages!

·
Banned
2 Posts
it needs a carb re build i would also replace the fuel line and the filter ..I would also check the fuel tank to see if there is water in it

·
Registered
327 Posts
My grandfather has a Troybilt GTX with a kohler command 18. A few years ago while mowing/operation of the tractor it would loose power. You could hear the change in the engine sound. We replaced the coil packs(my dad did) problem solved.

I was given a JD 210. PO said that after 30 minutes of operation the unit would loose power. PO had engine overhauled in 2007. Still had same problem after that. PO parked it till I got it 3 months ago. I replaced several parts thinking it was a fuel issue. Tractor would loose power, surge, misfire, etc. I could manipulate the choke and throttle to keep it running. I finally replaced the coil, points, condenser. Problem solved.

I would try that route as well. Been reading and seeing many problems that occur with bad coils.

Good Luck. David I also commented on your post. I hope this helps and solves the issues. Cost me about 50 bucks for the coil at NAPA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Could both coils be breaking down at the same time, or with one coil losing it, it would be enough to cause the engine to sputter surge and stall. it's a 2 cyl, so with half cyl out, guess it would. If and 8 cyl engine was running on 4, wouldn't run to hot if at all.

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
I also wouldn't replace the carb, but I would take it apart and clean all passages (you know he left the old gas in there) just for your own piece of mind and eliminating that issue out of the puzzle. This won't require much money other than carb cleaning fluid (I recommend the kind that comes with the little basket and you immerse the carb available at most auto stores) and maybe the gasket around the bowl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the replies
I think I finally got it !! hope so anyway. not sure if it was still old dirt blocking the passages or a bad connection to the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl. when I started taking things apart I noticed that the connection to the solenoid didn't look too hot so I eliminated the connectors altogether & soldered & shrink-tubed the wire when I put it all back together. so not sure if it was crap in the carb's passages or a weak electrical connection, but I ran the thing all day yesterday & a couple more hours this AM with no problems. & yes to those of you curious about the high hours it really has over 1300 hours on it. 1340.2 as of today !!! it's my neighbor's tractor & he has a small lawn mowing service, unfortunately he is currently undergoing extensive cancer treatments. so he can't work & I agreed to take over for him untill we know more about his condition. anyhow thanks again for all the replies & we'll catch you all later!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts