My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an Xmark Lazer-Z for about 7 years and use it extensively around a 7 acre property. Never and issue.
Today the while mowing the engine suddenly stopped with no unusual sounds, just stopped while mowing. It will not restart. The engine will turn over with full power from the battery but it sounds like trying to start it while the engine is disabled by a safety feature. However blades are off, brake is on, I'm sitting on the seat, handles are in their wide storage postion... all the things I know of that keep the engine from starting or running have been accounted for. Belts appear intact. Any ideas where I should check before calling my dealer for repairs?
Thanks for any help!
Roy

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
Check to see if you have spark at the plugs. If so check to see if fuel, I'm thinking either a coil or fuel pump failure.

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
Check to see if you have spark at the plugs. If so check to see if fuel, I'm thinking either a coil or fuel pump failure.
Check your fuses as well, not sure if there is a fusible link on it but if so check that as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a similar problem last year on my lazer but was able to get restarted the couple of times it stopped cold. I ended up replacing all the safety switches and havent had an issue since. As I recall it wasn't terribly expensive, but I did the work myself.

·
forkz
6,277 Posts
my cub z force was blowing fueses i had a naked wire near the pto check fuses like said before also look for bare wires

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Maybe it isn't the same on different models, but on my JD X500, the safety interlocks prohibit the starter from being energized at all, so the engine just will not crank at all.

If your engine cranks, and you have spark at the spark plugs, one other thing to check, -if so equipped- might be the carb bowl fuel cut off solenoid. If the wire to it has broken, fallen off, or grounded out, it will shut off the fuel. Since it shuts fuel off at the jet, it is pretty much an instant stall, like you turned the key off. It takes power to the solenoid to keep fuel flowing and the engine running.

Good luck, let us know if you are able to diagnose and fix it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good point. When I had my issue, I didnt get any crank until I had engaged all the appropriate safety switches that would enable a normal start. I figured I had one that was occasionally faulty that would kill the mower, which post replacing them seemed to be the case.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
If it is cranking over as Alien mentioned, probably not an interlock. Could be fuel related and start with easy. Fuel filter and make sure when you pull the filter there is gas coming out of the line from the tank. could be a plugged fuel line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts